The Last Supper - again


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lombardy » Milan
August 12th 2017
Published: August 12th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Vittorio Emmanuele II shopping arcadeVittorio Emmanuele II shopping arcadeVittorio Emmanuele II shopping arcade

Before all the tourists!!
As our walking tour wasn't starting until 10, I decided to go for a walk around Piazza Duomo and was pleasantly surprised that I was almost on my own so managed to get a couple of photos without people in them - I might add I have no idea how many photos we have accidentally “bombed” as the Milanese might have all left for the holidays but the tourists have arrived in droves - so inconvenient!!

Even though we did a walking tour two years ago it was well worth doing again as we realise we had forgotten more than we remembered. I recall mentioning then the respect with which the guide spoke about Jesus Christ when visiting the Duomo and it was the same this time. There are no politically correct commentaries in Milan!!

Now we know why La Scala is such a “plain” building - when the original opera house burnt down, the Empress Maria Theresa selected the design. Being Austrian there was no room for anything other than something that was plain and practical (very unItalian) and it certainly is that!! The “other” Arc de Triomphe is in Milan - designed by “that little man” (as our guide called Napoleon) to remind him of Paris.

We finished the tour with the highlight yet again - the Last Supper. Imagine our delight when we were told that, as of last year, photographs are now permitted. We had tossed up about doing the tour but we were SO glad we did. And again having another explanation emphasised different features and added to the experience. How many people are blessed to see the Last Supper twice.

Early start to the day tomorrow as we head to Verona, looking forward to meeting the Montagues and Capulets.

Ciao


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

The "other arc de triomphe" The "other arc de triomphe"
The "other arc de triomphe"

Waaaaay in the background


12th August 2017
The Last Supper - live

All sounds wonderful, Ann and Mike. You've already had great highlights. Tomorrow we leave Lisbon and will be on our boat late afternoon.
12th August 2017

Where's Annie?
Sounds like a great day. I personally would like to see a photo or two with you actually in it... preferably holding shopping bags with my gifts in them. Prada is a nice place to start.
13th August 2017

What an amazing time you seem to be having and what a blessing to be able to enjoy it after the last year. As Pastor Ben has been heard to say "God is good, God is good indeed because that is His nature, whoohoo"

Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0946s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb