Europa Day 27


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lombardy » Gravedona
June 8th 2012
Published: June 9th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Day 27

Head for Lucerne with rain and low cloud. So low that driving up the mountain just outside Brienz that we have very low visibility and a car off the side of the road so slower then usual driving.

Despite that, still get some spectacular views of towns below us. Get to Lucerne and guess what - bucketing down. Drive down a road towards what looks like the river and get a park right beside the river and the special wooden covered bridge - lucky...

Go to the information office to find out what to do on a rainy day in Lucerne. Not lots. Go across the river to the old part of town and it rains even harder. So much that the buses cause waves in the gutters. Wait under cover for a while then do some tourist shops and get back to the car (meter ran out). Eventually move on as the rain not easing and parking a worry.

Head off to our next stop which is Como in Italy. On the way we have to pass Lugano (still in Switzerland). Decide to go through the town and traffic is horrific. Second run in with merging traffic that didn't want to let me go first (even though I was in front). This time I won - only after he realized that I was an inch off his car.........

Eventually found out why traffic so bad - the first day of the Tour de Suisse was staring from Lugano that night. Roads being closed, camera crews, hospitality tents, etc......

Finally got out of town after a few turns trying to stop for a while... Wrong move that one. Aywhoo, finally off towards Como. Turn off and come across the border crossing (again, no stamp or stopping) just into Italy and instant change of roads, traffic and houses edged into cliffs and right up to the edge of the road or water....

Not too long and I really know this is Italy - crazy drivers, roads nomwidermthan 2 cars, but with buses and trucks as well. Speed limit signs are of no use here. Nor are double lines. In a tunnel that said 70kmh, I'm doing 80 and get passed on double lines by some dude in a Suzuki swift (with a hot exhaust system no less).

Eventually get to our destination (Gravedona) which is right on Lake Como. Nice hotel but no booking they can find - lucky I have my copy of the Wotif confirmation. Right hotel, eventually sorted and we get a good room.

Recommended a restaurant in town (5 minutes walk) so off we go. Nice place and nice food. Get chatting to a couple behind us - all laughing at the 1 fly in the place annoying everyone. Turns out they are Irish and staying at the same hotel (same recommendation). Talking over tables a bit difficult so we go for a drink where we can talk easier. Really nice couple who we have a really good talk to. They even know a bit about real footy (had followed the Jim Stynes story).

Eventually finish up after a few good beers and walk back well fed and watered......

Advertisement



Tot: 0.305s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0939s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb