Europa Day 26


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Brienz
June 7th 2012
Published: June 7th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Day 26

OMG

Jungfraujoch - at last. What a day of superlatives. Get up early'ish and have breakfast at the B&B. Irene offers us some coupons for the Jungfraujoch trip that will get us extremely cheap fares as long as we split the difference with her. Good deal so off we go.....

Tickets issued at almost half price and we get on the train (after buying some cheap gloves). On our way and alreadynthensigtsbarebcoming thick and fast. By the time we get to our first change of trains I have lots of shots (might be a long trip).

Get on the next train and immediately start to climb very steeply. Snow covered mountains, waterfalls, valleys, too many sights to cover so decide to cut back on photos and just look.

After about an hour we get to the change where we get on the cog train to the top of Europe (Jungfraujoch). This part is nearly all under cover (in a tunnel all the way up now). Eventually get to the top and get out to mass confusion and no real idea of where to go. Head in the direction of most people and find a show and elevator that takes us to the viewing platform. Sun shining and views that are impossible to describe here.

This bit is inside so we eventually find the way to the outdoor viewing platform and do just that. Cold but not unbearable. We just wander around taking pics and going from side to side looking what evolves around us. The is cloud cover to one side and clear blue sky on the other. Every so often a blast of wind comes up from the cloudy side and blows snow and sleet up from below, then eases off altogether.

Fingers getting cold so time to go inside. We follow the path we started and see a few displays then start to get cold again. No wonder - we are in the ice cave. Great ice carvings all through this myriad of ice. End up out and seek something to eat and a warm drink.

Decide that food is way too expensive so just have a dodgy sandwich and Chris gets a hot cappuccino. Sit and drink/eat back up in the indoor viewing area. Sun out on the peaks again so more pics of the sun moving across the snow.

Eventually decide to come back down to earth. Queue up for the train and start he descent. Dark, rhythmic click of the cogs holding the train back from plummeting nearly 2000 metres so lots of people nodding off (including moi).....

Do the other part of the rail loop on the way back via Grindelwald. Different country but equally impressive, especially seeing how steep weewwere descending. Back to the station and to our B&B for a well earned sleep.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0394s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb