Lake Como to Switzerland - Where is George?


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lombardy » Como
May 10th 2009
Published: May 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hi All

Today we travelled to Switzerland via Lake Como - sometime home of Mr George Clooney. Anita has assured me that we are visiting because the lake is supposed to be beautiful, and for no other reason!

Drive was pretty easy once we found a non-automated fuel station to fill up at. I now know the offical motorway speed is 130km, so we can also get there at speed - they don't have it on any of the signs.

Como is another very old town with a historic walled village in the centre. The lake is nestled in an incredible deep walled valley. It really is beautiful- the photos don't do it justice. Very large and expensive looking villas line the shore and the valley wall.

We took a short cruise on the Lake, the commentary seemed interesting, but was in Italian - complete with lots of hand gesticulations. At various points the Italian's would get up and start snapping away at a home - but we had no idea who the owner was. We listened for "George"or maybe "Georgio"but heard nothing.

That was Italy, one Italian Pizza, check; one Italian cappucino,check; one Italian Gelato, check!

The Swiss border is only 5 minutes from Como - caught us by surprise. It has Itallian boarder police on one side doing nothing, and their Swiss colleagues on the other side, also doing nothing!!! Thanks to advise from Hennie, (and no thanks to the French car people who said it was not needed) we bought our motorway pass at the border post - $55 Aus thank you!

It was then off into Switzerland. Where the scenery just got more spectacular - they were not much better than the Italian's on speed signs! Went through a number of mountain tunnels including one 14km long - the longest in the world. The final part of the journey was through Swiss country side. It is so picturesque and GREEN!!

It was great to see Max and Margret again - had a long chat into the evening. They have provided us with the top floor of their home. Complete with our own bedroom, lounge area and bathroom - we may stay for months!










Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Very SteepVery Steep
Very Steep

See the lift on the left. There is a home at the bottom
Crazy RailwayCrazy Railway
Crazy Railway

See the railway cutting. I am not sure of the angle but it seemed like 70 degrees
Amazing Building Art WorkAmazing Building Art Work
Amazing Building Art Work

Many buildings had these designs


12th May 2009

George is in Miami filming his latest movie.

Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 59; dbt: 0.091s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb