Monterosso to Venazza


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Liguria » Cinque Terre
May 11th 2011
Published: May 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

VenazzaVenazzaVenazza

Lovely village, lovely harbour
Today started off with getting on the wrong train and flying past where we wanted to be. Never mind, we got off at Monterosso instead to walk back to Corniglia rather than the other way round. Monterosso is a town, larger than the other villages, with a lovely beach set up for tourists. Sand, gorgeous clear water, and many beach loungers and umbrellas – pay of course!
The track from Monterosso to Vernazza is narrow, steep and rocky. It is made more difficult because of the numbers of people to pass going in either direction. It was also extremely hot today, probably around 30 in the more sheltered areas. On the plus side, the track is high so there are lovely views along the coast. Vernazza is really nice with the usual old buildings and church but it also has the remains of the old wall and towers still visible. The harbour is open and developed well for sitting, eating, watching, boating and swimming. The old part of town is like the other towns with narrow streets and tall old apartments with tiny shops underneath.
The track from Vernazza to Corniglia was more steep rocky paths with the tail end diverted
VernazzaVernazzaVernazza

Village of Vernazza
to the road because the track was closed here too. It seems to us, that given how much of the track has been closed from the original, we’ve walked an extra 10kms to get around the closed parts. Looking at some of the very unfit bodies we’ve seen, there must be many sore, exhausted people around unaware of the fitness required for some parts.
So, we’ve completed the Cinque Terre walk. It is certainly beautiful, the villages are quaint and interesting, the tracks not easy-peasy, the scenery spectacular, the water clear and a deep azure colour, the weather calm and sunny. What more could we hope for! The pictures help to tell the story rather than words so take a look.
We finished the day by heading to La Spezia to book our train tickets to Portogruaro on Saturday. We had an hour to spare before getting the train back so had a short walk around. We weren’t impressed. Grafitti on everything and not particularly attractive where we walked.
Oh yes, the mad pianist was still at it when we arrived back today. 10 points for persistance, 0 for talent.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0258s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb