Cinque Terre - Porto Venere


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Liguria » Portovenere
May 13th 2011
Published: May 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Porto VenerePorto VenerePorto Venere

The promontory with St Peters church showing some of the fortifications
We took the passenger ferry from Riomaggiore to Portovenere which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The boat trip is along a steep and rocky coast of folded sedimentary rocks from the Appenine Mountains in the background. There are many slips and houses perched on the sides. One wonders how people access the houses – from the road above, or the sea below?
Portovenere is a beautiful town of very ancient and modern. It is situated in the Gulf of La Spezia also known as the Gulf of Poets after Byron, Shelley and DH Lawrence who lived in the area. We walked along the modern harbour (away from the tourists) then returned to the main attraction – the old walled town.
The ancient walls encompass tall walled fortified houses facing the harbour, running along to the promontory with St Peters church on top, up the coast to the castle on top then back down into the town.
The church of St Peter is supposed to mark the place of a temple to Venus which the town is named after. The temple was transformed into a Christian church then rebuilt again in 1256 by the Genoese.
Above the promontory and below
Portovenere TownPortovenere TownPortovenere Town

The town of Portovenere
the castle is the church of St Lawrence or St Lorenzo. This church is well worth a visit inside to see the huge columns in black stone and a lot of marble features. It must have been a busy time of building because the churches and castle and walls were built in the 1100’s. Unfortunately we weren’t able to get into the castle but the views were worth the walk up the hill.
The villages of the Cinque Terre are certainly quaint and pretty, but it is certainly worth the while to add Portovenere into visiting this area.
On our return, the inevitable bad pianist continued his serenading!
We tried yet another restaurant for dinner. A different once each day and most of them with similar menus. We found that the Grotto so far has been the best and also the most difficult to find a table free. I guess that says something.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 13; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0383s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb