Cinque Terre (Riomaggiore)


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Liguria » Cinque Terre
May 10th 2011
Published: May 10th 2011
Edit Blog Post

ManarolaManarolaManarola

Manarola from lower path to Corniglia (closed today)
We walked the short coastal route to Manarola which is truly lovely. After a short stroll around the town we tried to find the upper route to Corniglia because the lower route is closed due to slips. It is not well marked and after one mistaken path we went up the road further and found the red and white markers to follow. From there it is steeply uphill to Valastra where there is a very old church and sitting area out the front for a rest. From there the path is narrow and rocky through steep gardens, vineyards and scrub. It’s amazing where people have built dry rock walls and put in gardens over many years. We Kiwis would just say “too hard”. But, if needs must, you just do it. After winding around the hill sides it is a steep drop down into Corniglia. This is a very quaint village with steep, very narrow streets and alley ways. The path taken today has the advantage of being high so the views are spectacular out over the azure sea. To get the train back to Riomaggiore meant walking down hundreds of steps to the railway station. The problem is knowing that tomorrow we have to walk up them again!
The only downside to the walk so far is the poor signage. There are not enough, and they are not clear. Given the money that tourists pay it would seem a small thing to put up more clear, modern signs as they do in Switzerland. However, despite this, it is extremely beautiful and quite unique.
On the humorous side the mad pianist mentioned yesterday seems to have got no better or less persistent in playing.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.493s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 55; dbt: 0.3223s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb