Jaw-dropping Vatican


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
May 11th 2017
Published: July 1st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 41.8955, 12.4823

Ciao!

Today was our last full day in Rome and Italy for this adventure, and we topped off the whole experience with a morning at the Vatican and an evening of pasta and seafood.

We'd signed up for a tour that got us into the Vatican Museums an hour before the regular opening time and took us straight to the museum's star attraction, the Sistine Chapel.

Had a great tour guide, Ferdinando, from Walks of Italy -- an archaeologist by training.

The tour caught highlights of the museum along the corridor to the Sistine Chapel, passing the immense wooden door that the pope would use to enter it, and opened up to Michelangelo's masterpiece at the end.

All you can do is tilt your head back, and then stare in awe and wonder. Words just can't express the feelings and impact of experiencing the Sistine Chapel for the first time.

(Neither can photos, since they're not allowed.)

From there, our guide took the group through a back door entrance into the magnificent St. Peter's Basilica, which with Michelangelo's Pieta put an exclamation mark on the grandeur of the whole spiritual experience.

A long walk back to our hotel in the midday sun and a slice of pizza for a quick lunchtime snack and it was time to start packing and making arrangements for Friday's return trip home.

Around the corner for another tasty pasta-and-seafood dinner at a neighborhood trattoria and it was time to say "Buona notte!" to another bellissimo day in Rome and Italy.

Buona notte, family and friends, and we'll see you soon!

Sharon and Mike / Mom and Dad


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



11th May 2017

You can try to tell people about sitting in silence looking up in the Sistine chapel but, words just can't do it. Especially since you can't take any pics. Something if your lucky enough to see it, you never forget. Hope there are no fights
on your plane coming home? Ha. See ya soon...

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0245s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb