When in Rome . . .


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
May 10th 2017
Published: July 1st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 41.8955, 12.4823

Buona notte, everyone!

(Writing this late Wednesday night prior to an early wake-up to get to the Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's Basilica before they open to the public Thursday morning.)

Arrived in Rome late Wednesday after a long (and noisy . . . our whole car full of HS kids about to go on a cruise . . . think the chaperones were already overwhelmed) train ride from Monterosso, just in time to catch the sunset from our hotel's rooftop terrace.

Refreshed, we caught some pizza from the mouth-watering bakery across the street, then headed out for a long evening stroll, Rick Steves' 'Heart of Rome Walk.' Walked through Campo de Fiori, Piazza Navone, and past the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, and the Spanish Steps. Then retraced our steps back to the hotel and hit the sack; it had been a looooong day.

Today was spent walking much of this beautiful city, hitting some of the same places to see how different they looked and functioned during the day. Visited quite a few churches today -- the architectural, artistic, historical, and spiritual significance in each of them is quite astounding -- including the Pantheon, Sant Ignazio, Santa Maria Sopra Minerva, and the Church of Gesu.

After lunch, it was onto some of the biggies for a guided tour: the Colosseum, the ruins of the Roman Forum, and Palatine Hill. For dinner, we went to a highly recommended little hole-in-the-wall place around the corner which had just one entree on the menu -- fried cod -- and a choice of four salads -- went with puntarelle greens tossed with anchovy dressing (anchovies in Italy are NOTHING like those found in the states). With beer and wine, of course! May have been the best fried fish ever.

And for dessert, a homemade slice of tiramisu and a gelato.

We will sleep well!

Last full day of our Italian adventure is tomorrow, and we'll start it off early at the Vatican.

Buona notte, all.

Mike and Sharon / Dad and Mom



Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



12th May 2017

Wow, I love seeing all the beautiful and impressive cathedrals, fountains, ruins, b &b, and seeing all the beautiful architecture. Congratulations on 30 years of a beautiful, loving, fun, adventure filled life together. Have an amazing
vacation and can't wait to hear everything!! Love Always, Ash

Tot: 0.248s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0744s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb