Bella Italia Finale


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
October 31st 2015
Published: November 15th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Day 5



Today we traveled across Italy from the Adriatic to the Tyrrhenian sea. It was raining hard when we left at nine and we drove over and under the Apennines. It is fall now and while I missed the brilliant reds, the soft yellows, oranges and rust are interspersed with green pines. Here and there an olive grove clung to the hillside but this area is mainly national parkland. By he time we stopped for lunch we all were ready to stretch our legs. We visited one of the largest wineries in the Castello del Roma area which is famed for their Frascati white wines. The owner greeted us under the trees on a stretch of an old roman road. Armies marched down this road, wagons loaded with wine and olive oil rolled across the stones to the city. While yesterday's winery visit was a familia, today we were served in elegance. Waiters in white jackets made sure our glasses were filled. We started out with appetizers. The spread was enormous. There must have been thirty different selections, mushrooms, tomatoes, eggplant, fennel, potatoes, sausage and other cured meats and be table just for the assorted cheeses.



This was followed by a pasta dish and then wonderful flavorful beef. Way, way too much food and finally a chocolate dessert. Each course was paired with wine.



A note about the room. Each table was a beautiful solid wood polished to a high sheen. The chair cushions were damask and velvet. The chandeliers were Merino glass. Everything was understated elegance.



When we waddled back to the bus, we had just one more stop, Castello Gondolfo where Benedict waits out his remaining years. I stayed on the bus and was assured that I made the right choice when,evidently,the road from where the bus let us off was uphill and the road back to where the bus was parked was uphill as well. Another wise choice by yours truly.



After fighting the Roman rush hour traffic we departed the bus about a block from the hotel and dragged our bags over cobblestones avoiding the crazy Roman drivers. The walk was worth it as our hotel is lovely and our room very comfortable. Best of all it has a bathtub. Perfect for soaking our weary legs.



Foolishly, we decided to go out for a light dinner to a nearby to a pizzeria I knew, Vitos. We ordered a Margherita pizza and was only able to finish two thirds. We went back to the hotel bar and chatted with a couple from Alaska and the barmaid Isabella. We were both whipped so off to bed we trudged.





Day 6



Today was principally Vatican day. Iv'e been there and though I would have liked to see the Sistine Chapel again it was just too intense a tour so I planned to stay in the hotel, soak in a hot bath and relax. Pat was up and out by seven. The death march to the Vatican started at 7:30 and was about a mile. I started reading and soon fell asleep. When I awoke it was 9:30. I showered, no time for a bath, and had a light breakfast. Pat taxied back to the hotel and after a rest we headed out again. I found my favorite little restaurant. They had to turn on the lights for us. I was surprised that it wasn't busy until I realized it was Saturday and the lunch patrons were usually business people. I finally had my gnocchi, feather light with porcini mushrooms and Manila clams. Pat had spaghetti Bolognese. She likes the American version better. We shared a bottle of the house white and headed out again. We walked about a1/2 mile past the Castello de Angeles and picked up the Hop on Hop off bus. Neither of us wanted to walk so we road the circuit and passed the highlights; the Forum, the Colosseum, Constantine's Arch, Palatine Hill, Circus Maximus and back to the Vatican.The Spanish Steps and the Trevi Fountain were closed for restoration The walk back to the hotel seemed twice as long and all we wanted to do was get off of our feet.



Tomorrow we leave so we packed up and decided to have wine and peanuts for dinner. Isabella gave us some bar bits and that along with the peanuts and chips were more than enough. We saw a picture of her daughter all dressed up for trick or treating, chatted with the customers and Isabella for a while then headed up to finish packing, always a treat. Tomorrow we will be up at 6:00 and head to the airport.



This has been an amazing trip, very busy, very tasty. We have visited the hill towns, lakes, wineries, an olive oil mill, wonderful restaurants and followed the road less travelled. There were beautiful churches, outdoor markets, shopping for those that do and a easy camaraderie with the group. I saw old friends and met new people and enjoyed all I did do.

I had heard that Rome was rude and dirty. Thank goodness that wasn't our experience. There was graffiti but no more than I saw the last time. People were busy and rushing but no worse than NY.



On to the next adventure.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.317s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.2951s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb