25th November 2014: Visited Cappuchin Monastery, Piazza Di Siena Gardens.....and Sue got robbed!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
November 25th 2014
Published: November 25th 2014
Edit Blog Post

First, the last part of the heading, Sue was robbed. Walking down the stairs to Piazza Del Popolo, Sue was bumped by someone and when she reached the bottom, her bag was open and her purse was gone. No violence, just violated. One hour later, all cards are cancelled, $A120 gone, and that's the worst of it. Last day in Italy; they cut it fine.

Earlier, we visited the Cappuchin Monastery for a look and were amazed at the historical display there. We visited in 2007 just out of curiosity to see the unusual but artistic display of the bones of up to 4000 monks but they did a redevelopment between 2009-12 and now it is a museum displaying artefacts and paintings relating to the history of these monks. They have a Caravaggio painting displayed and we were going to Piazza Popolo to see another when Sue was 'bumped'. We spent quite a bit of time there and then made our way up Via Vittorio Veneto to the gardens at the top and sat down along a shaded walkway and read and people watched for a while.

It was shortly after this that our day took a turn for the worse, although not really the worst, just a hiccup to finish a great holiday. We walked back to make sure it had not been left on the bench we sat on and after confirming it was not, headed back to our room to start cancelling. Sue's phone didn't have much credit and I just hoped it got me through the calls. It did, just.

Dinner tonight is probably next door, Sue feels bad about what happened, but we still have passports and access to some money so there's not much to worry about. If Sue's bag was closed(and she's very careful about that) then these people are very good at what they do as it took seconds.

We have a cab booked for the morning so as Bugs Bunny would say, " That's all, folks!".

Advertisement



26th November 2014

"That's all, folks!"...
and I've enjoyed sharing it with you, both Parts 1 and 2!

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0535s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb