Rome Day 3


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
May 12th 2013
Published: June 28th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We received early departure from the ship, and were off by 7 a.m.! Now given that we had so much luggage for the train, we took a limo back to Rome. The driver was waiting for us when we disembarked from the ship. We were at the Hotel DePretis by 9, luggage secured and off to complete our Rome tour.

We had decided to go back to some of the places we had been on the Walking tour of Rome at Night. We wanted to visit the Panthenon. This was closed the evening we toured. This is a marvelous building built primarily of marble. There is an opening in the top (yes it does rain in!). The building is set up so the rain runs out across the marble. It is an amazing building. Creative architecture.

We find McDonald's in the middle of somewhere. There are red M signs, that mean Metro and there are yellow M signs that mean McDonald's. There will be an arrow but this doesn't mean you will see it when you are walking! One was under the subway. Just totally amazing. The largest McDonald's in the world is near the Spanish Steps. They have interactive ordering at kiosks. There was a huge coffee bar at the front when you came in with all sorts of pastries. Just nothing like this anywhere else we have been!

There are lots of street vendors on this Sunday morning and afternoon. We do stop and support these local vendors. We also climbed the Spanish Steps and that is no easy feat! There are "actors" dressed up as Roman soldiers wanting to charge you to have your picture taken with them. We did not pay them to pose.

We close this day with another trip to St. Peter's Basilica and we are not disappointed. There were so many things we missed the first time. We were so tired the first day but today we know what we missed and make sure we take in so many of the beautiful artworks found here. Mass is being said and the evening is quickly setting in on us.

So as this day quickly winds down, this trip we have ridden the subway, the bus, a taxi, a limo and the train. We made it through each experience. Next time we will pack differently (less!) and spend more time seeing sights we missed this time. We stop for the last time at our favorite White's Café Bar for dinner. Tonight is a "buffet" free with a drink. Not exactly your American buffet but it worked to have salad and pizza for dinner. Caught the free Wi-Fi and then off to the hotel for an early flight to New York! Until we return, Rome will always be a pleasant memory of a Trip of a Lifetime!


Additional photos below
Photos: 80, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.426s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0459s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb