An anti-climatic bike tour end


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
December 9th 2009
Published: December 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Today Kuba and I took our bikes to the bike shop and had them packed up into boxes. It's a sad day 😞 On the other hand though, it was already a pretty uneventful ending to our bike touring. We were so close to finishing 1000 miles that we decided to just go for it and bike through Rome. Yesterday morning we woke up early and set out for the finish despite the rain. On the way we ran into a bike protest to raise awareness about climate change. So of course we joined it and and rode our bikes around the piazza while they yelled stuff through megaphones. After riding around for awhile we were all pumped to finish our bike tour. So we started riding away from the city and got onto a path that runs along side the river. Just as we were starting to pick up speed and bike for real I realized I had a flat tire. Completely flat too, like I was riding on the rim. We didn't bring the patch kit or anything because we're idiots. We ended up walking our bikes two hours back into the city and finishing our 1000th mile on foot.
Even though we had such an unlucky ending, at least my luck with natural disasters has improved greatly. As proof to this Kuba and I climbed an active volcano in the Aeolian Islands a few days ago. It was awesome! We climbed up to the crater of Vulcano, the place were the Romans thought the god Vulcan lived. It's a dying volcano so no lava (and it's pretty safe ok! I know what you're thinking mom) but there were big clouds of hot sulfur gas coming out of it. The whole island smells like being dutch ovened over and over again. Yuck.

Advertisement



11th December 2009

You're killing me here!!
Okay. . so biking through Rome. . did you NOT listen to Natalie and Sophie about this??? Second of all, climbing up an active volcano. . .did I NOT teach you to make better choices than that?? Are you trying to give me a heart attack RIGHT before you are coming home??? Are you just yearning for some natural disaster to finish off your trip??? All I can say is this. . .COME HOME AND STOP MAKING BAD CHOICES. . .and yeah you are soooo grounded when you get home!!! LOL!! Can hardly wait to see you!! And yeah, still proud of you and love you lots!!

Tot: 0.37s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0394s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb