Day 13 - Rome, Italy


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
August 28th 2008
Published: August 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: StPeters Square 37 secs
Gallery of MapsGallery of MapsGallery of Maps

Ceiling in the Gallery of Maps, within the Vatican Museum

Activities


Vatican Tour

Highlight(s)




Odd Spot(s)



* Insistence of concierge yesterday that we be delivered a breakfast box prior to early departure for Vatican Tour. Breakfast box, which was actually a bag, contained oversized pate biscuits, jam, crackers, cheese, coconut yoghurt, a juice box and a bottle of water. Was actually a nice change from cereal, eggs and toast.
* Wacky bus transfer for Vatican tour which "absolutely, positively starts at 6.55am". We were collected by minivan at 7.15am, driven around the block to collect additional tourists from hotel 2 doors up, then driven at a frantic pace to the tour office which was no more than 4 minutes walk away to begin with.
Tour Leader For A MinuteTour Leader For A MinuteTour Leader For A Minute

Joc steps in as group leader whilst our tour guide sorted entry tickets for Vatican Museum

* Up-sell effort of sales assistant at Vatican gift shop. We willingly sought out a reasonably priced set of rosary beads - not the cheapest, not the most expesive - to then be badgered by sales assistant with at least 4 attempts to cross-sell additional items.


Weather


Hot and sunny. High temperature of 32 degrees.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

We're Heading HereWe're Heading Here
We're Heading Here

Michele points towards Acquapendente, the main area for week 6 of our adventure.
St Peter's SquareSt Peter's Square
St Peter's Square

View from St Peter's Basilica
Pope's Eye ViewPope's Eye View
Pope's Eye View

Behind us is the view the Pope has when addressing the masses in St Peter's Square
The CupolaThe Cupola
The Cupola

The dome from inside St Peter's Basilica. It's interior diameter is 42.56 metres which makes you feel remarkably small when looking up.
PerspectivePerspective
Perspective

The only way to take in the greatness of St Peter's Basilica.
The Swiss GuardThe Swiss Guard
The Swiss Guard

The Popes personal protection dates back to 1506. They must be Swiss citizens, of catholic faith, at least 174cm tall and between the age of 19 to 30. Their uniforms were designed by Michelangelo.
St Peter's Basilica & Apostolic PalaceSt Peter's Basilica & Apostolic Palace
St Peter's Basilica & Apostolic Palace

View from St Peter's Square of St Peter's Basilica and the Apostolic Palace. To maintain its standing as the world's largest Basilica, all new churches are measured to ensure they do not exceed the dimensions of St Peter's Basilica.


29th August 2008

Stunning
St Peters Square.....just stunning...keep photos coming. Great video as well....you guys are really embracing the web2.0 technology :)

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0247s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb