Score Rome 2 Travelers 0


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
July 8th 2008
Published: July 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Rome...we dont have our rental car so we can now be dependent on public transportation without headache on these crazy streets. NOT! We made it on one of the few trains to Rome...why...there is a strike! We booked our trip from Venice to Rome days before in anticipation of the rumors we heard. Lucky us cause all other trains were canceled. Well, not so lucky. Not only were the trains on strike, so were the buses. We hurried to our hotel in a taxi so that we could catch up on our Rome site seeing. Since we had such bad luck the week before in Rome, we were behind.

We dashed off to the colloseum (I am hurrying and cant think of the correct spelling) and it had closed already. We paid big money in taxi s all night just to see as much as we could. We walked around the entire outside and took lots of pictures. We will be back tomorrow to visit the inside. The ruins were next door but that was closed too.

We saw the Spanish Steps. Bob told us that during World War II the American were exhausted and could manage climbing all of the steps so they all fell asleep on the steps. RJ laid down so Bertha could take his picture laying on the steps.

We also visited the Trevi Fountain. It was beautiful and we each threw a coin over our shoulders to wish a return trip to Rome again. There are an amazing amount of people just hanging out at these famous places at all hours of the night.

Bob and I have taken a liking to "Granitas". It is like a slushie but with a lemonaide taste. Expensive at about 3 to 5 euros each cup. Rome seems to have one up on us always. But day two was better.


Another very early day. Bertha and RJ made it to the tombs below the Vatican. After we all toured the Vatican and attended a mass there and received communion. I almost had tears in my eyes is disbelief that I was actually there. It was amazing!!!! We saw the statue Michaelangelo carved of "La Peita" which is the Virgin Mary holding Jesus as he lay dead. We then went to the Sistine Chapel and Vatican Museum.

Bob and RJ had a fabulous afternoon visiting inside the Colloseum and forum and ruins! Bertha and I went back to our rooms after having walked for hours and hours. We are closing up and going home tomorrow with tons of stories of having a fabulous time!!!!! Love to all.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 21; dbt: 0.0308s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb