Venice


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
July 8th 2008
Published: July 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Venice ShopsVenice ShopsVenice Shops

Love the beautiful masks we saw in Venice.
After a long train ride from Florence to Venice, we arrived in the afternoon around 3 oclock. We checked into our hotel so we could immediately site see. We stayed in a little city named Mestre just outside of the island of Venice. A bus from the front of our hotel that runs 24 hours took us across the bridge to Venice. We ate in a little restaurant there. I had sea bass with spaghetti in a fish sauce. I did not know that the fish sauce was filled with shells of muscles and other shell creatures including shrimp that was fully intact. RJ loves seafood so he was the only one daring enough to try it with me. We took the water bus down the main water way and got off at one of the large bridges to do some shopping. We continued down to St. Marks square as dusk was hitting. It seems to get dark around 8 at night. The square lit up and so did the music. Bob was trying recall his adventures from many years ago. We ate McDonalds late that night before heading back. We notice a casino along the banks and planned to stop there the next day.

The next day Bob and RJ got a head start on the day and went to Venice. Bertha was hurting from her fall and I was having a slow morning so we met up with them later. It was Berthas birthday and we planned to go on the Gondolas but after having lunch we decided to stop at the casino first. Bob was wearing shorts and they did not let him go into the main part of the casino. He could only play slots on the main floor. Bertha and I were wearing capris and Bob was upset that we could go in and he couldnt. He called it like we were wearing pajamas and he was wearing a collared shirt, yet he was excluded. He saw a casino shirt there he wanted to buy and money would be not object yet it was on display for an upcoming tournament and he was not able to buy it. That really ticked him off. RJ won in BJ and he was super excited. Bertha and I played but not much luck. We had fun anyhow and Bob saved a couple of casino chips as souveniers.
Venice CasinoVenice CasinoVenice Casino

Entrance to the Casino in Venice

We left the casino to head down the river more but I had to catch the shops before they closed at 7. We barely made it cause I had my eye on some Mureno glass. Suddenly the skies thunder and it poured down rain. It was amazing because we had to stay under one of the arches in a square and the lightening didnt stop. Neither did the rain so we never made it to a gondola ride. We were wet with no umbrellas and we had to still ride the water bus back to the mainland. The buses are very crowded!! It was my moment to get a slight panic attack, not anything major. Standing in a packed bus, wet from the humidity and wet from the rain and no air in the bus with everyone packed in like sardines. We lived. Only 1 1-2 days in Venice but it was one of our highlight cities. Now off to Rome.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Photo from Venice Rialto BridgePhoto from Venice Rialto Bridge
Photo from Venice Rialto Bridge

This is where Thomas Kinkaid painted his Venice picture


Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 8; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0224s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb