Rome


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
June 20th 2008
Published: June 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After Maranello all roads led to ……….

Our time in Rome was a bit of ‘work’, but was also rewarding.

Our first day was ‘Vatican Day’. The Vatican Museum, St Peters Square and Basilica.

The museum had lots of great sculptures and roof paintings, the Sistine Chapel is the most famous, but many others are just as impressive.
St Peters Basilica is simply huge and when appreciating the artwork it contains, you simply shake your head. Climbing to the top of the Cupola was a lot of fun. You climb a narrow enclosed, spiral staircase ( on a dramatic lean ) that winds around the great dome of the Basilica all the way to the top. Once there you get a great view overlooking the Vatican City and Rome itself.

The round St Peters square has a special ambience about it, and a couple of times whilst in Rome we simply sat there and enjoyed the atmosphere.

The next day we visited the Colosseum and Roman Forum. It’s not hard to imagine what the Colosseum was like. The ruins of the Roman Forum ( with some imagination), give an indication of how grand ancient Rome once was.

Our final day in Rome was a magnificent walking day. We started at Vatican City and explored our way ( with lots of stops) to Piazza Navona and the Pantheon. The Pantheon is a great building, grey and bland on the exterior, but the interior is a magnificent round building with a 9 metre diameter occula (hole) in the middle of the roof. We were lucky to have had rain when we were there, and were treated to the sight of raindrops falling through the hole to the interior.

Incidently, the McDonalds across the square from the Pantheon caused a furore when it was built, and sparked the introduction of the International slow food festivals ( as opposed to fast food ).

At Trevi Fountain we all threw in coins which is meant to signify that we will return to Rome one day.
All in all our Rome experience was a good one.




Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.182s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0409s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb