Last Days In Pompeii


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Pompei
June 20th 2008
Published: June 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

79AD-- BANG-- Mt Vesuvius erupts. Pompeii is buried in volcanic material.

2008 AD -- BANG-- The Lukes arrive to assess the situation.

We weren’t sure what to expect from Pompeii, but the ruins show an amazing insight as to what life would have been like in Pompeii 2000 years ago.

The city itself was home to approximately 20,000 people and was a remarkably advanced society. We were able to walk through residential areas, amphitheatres, laundromat’s, and all the other components of a city. You had to remind yourself that it was all in existence 2000 years ago.
We also saw the occasional body cast, pottery and fresco artwork on the walls of houses. All had been well preserved, and it was amazing to think it has all been excavated so successfully.

We took a bus trip along part of the Amalfi coastline. Originally, we had the intention of driving the motor home along the coast, but lucky we didn’t or we would have kissed the bond on the motor home goodbye. Some of the twists and blind turns were only a car width on a two way road. The bus driver simply tooted his horn and around he went. The climb was steep and windy and the coastline dramatic. Equally impressive were the buildings, vineyards and olive groves.

We have a deadline for the pickup of our canal boat………….. ready for our next adventure.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Body CastBody Cast
Body Cast

We wondered if this man died lying supine in a glass cabinet!
Body CastBody Cast
Body Cast

Maybe this man died lying prone in a glass cabinet


Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0593s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb