Guess we're coming back to Rome...


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
March 31st 2008
Published: April 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Coming back to Roma? Most definitely... 5 secs
008008008

Roman streetscape
Tim and I set out early this day to see a lot more of the city, while Mom and Dad stayed behind so Mom could rest. The walking thing, which is really the only way to see this city, was a little tough for her after being more or less down for a week with bronchitis. It just sapped up a lot of her energy, so they decided to stay closer to the B&B and just enjoy the immediate neighborhood.

Tim and I walked the colorful streets of Rome until we ultimately bumped into the governmental complex known as the Quirinale. You know you're there because there are armed guards everywhere! I think it's where the Italian embassy and maybe the military headquarters are located. As daunting as the semi-automatic weapons and guards in formal dress were, from there you walk down the hill a few streets and end up at the beautiful Trevi Fountain (you and about a zillion other tourists!). Enjoy the video of me tossing my coin into the fountain - this means you will be returning to Rome!

We went from there to the Spanish Steps, which I must say is in a very high
011011011

Unnamed duomo peeks at us from down the block
end shopping district just off of a main thoroughfare known as Via Nazionale. Along the way we saw some neat stuff… like the spire or cylindrical obelisk pictured here. From a distance it just looks like an oversized column in the middle of a piazza… then you get up close and realize that friezes cover every inch of it! Amazing. There are so many beautiful examples of architecture and history peeking out along every street. You begin to realize you need much longer than a week to really comprehend and experience all that Rome holds.

Anyway, on the way to the Spanish Steps, there is a little corridor which has every major designer and each with a beautiful storefront and amazingly dressed windows. We kept saying how we never would have made it to the Spanish Steps had Aubrey been with us, because we would have had to stop in to Gucci, Armani, Versace, Prada, Fendi, Burberry, and the list goes on and on! We did not get photos at the Spanish Steps, which are indeed very beautiful and a great place to hang out, but I did get many shots of the abundance of designers and their storefronts
079079079

Our fascination with public utility covers continues... SPQR means "For the Senators and the People of Rome" and you see this everywhere, along with "Pontiff Maxximus" (for obvious reasons ;o)
(mostly for Aubrey's amusement)!

Oh well… I’ve taken a semi-load of photos of monuments, ruins, and architecture since arriving in Italy. Might as well post a tribute to the very fashionable Italians, and their vast selection of designer options within the city center of Roma! Viva la Fashionistas!




Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

006006
006

The doorways of Italy... ever beautiful and intriguing
007007
007

This poor gal - I think she needs a spa day or something...
018018
018

Random piazza with a spire... but look closer...
019019
019

...the entire thing is a sculpted frieze telling a story we can only imagine.
009009
009

Beautiful Trevi Fountain
020020
020

Let the shopping begin... Fendi!
023023
023

Obviously, Burberry requires no words. It just IS.
024024
024

Hermes... understated yet elegant
027027
027

Why does that girl look so unhappy? She's in Prada, for Pete's sake!
027027
027

View of Designer Alley, taken from our perch on the Spanish Steps
031031
031

Discriminating shopper, no doubt, being toted in a designer shoulder bag


Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0489s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb