When in Rome


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
November 28th 2007
Published: November 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

RomeRomeRome

St Peters Basilica
There is an unbeleivable amount of history in Rome and to learn about it we needed another week to just scratch the surface.

It is really a magnificant city and we tried to do as much as we could but think we got to do the main things. I could mention all the different churches, plazzas and statues but that will take forever so just check out the photos for them but will mention our favourites over the three days.

Of course the Colosseum was the first thing that we went and had a look at. Built in 72 AD, the only thing added later was the cellars underneath the floor to hold the animals in. 80,000 people could fit in but only men for some reason were allowed to watch the events. It is still in very good order after so long and we did a tour through the place but cant remember everything she said really, she was like a tape recorder and someone pressed fast forward she was talking that qiuck and the Italian accent didn't help much. The Colosseum in the movie Gladiator is pretty much how it looked but 'the man' Russel Crow could
RomeRomeRome

Roman Forum and Palastine Hill
have never been a Gladiator from the high position he had.

Just over the road is the Roman Forum with palaces and houses dating back to 3000 BC but mostly in ruins up on Palatine Hill but in the valley it is still in great shape. This is where the oldest street in Rome is as well. We spent maybe too long here and had to rush a little to the next places which was a couple of churches. One houses the chains of St Peter while imprisonment and the other has the 'Mouth of Truth' not sure if anyone has heard of this but putting your hand in the mouth and if it shuts your hand falls of meaning your a lyer.
Heard of 'all roads lead to Rome?' Well we went to where that place is and it is close by the the Spanish Steps so went there for a look.
So that is day one and I have missed out heaps of other things along the way but now for day two the hightlights are...

Seeing the Pope! We actually had no idea that he was out and about on this day. We were heading to the Vatican Museum and bumped into a guy we meet back in Cinque Terre and he said he was on so that was a bonus! We listened to his speech even though we had know idea what was going on and it had a carnival atmosphere waiting for him to arrive.
Next we went to Vatican City, it is actually a separate country inside Rome, smallest in the world, to go to the Museum. This was a massive mistake just after seeing the Pope since everyone went there as well! It was just a massive line from the entrance to when we got out, couldn't stop and have a decent look at anything just had to follow the crowd. There is tonnes to see in here but we were mostly interested in the Sistine Chapel. Of course the main things to see here is the painting by Michelangelo, Creation and the Last Judgement. It is a massive painting on the ceiling and just the Creation took 4 years to paint. Managed to sneak a couple of photos with a group of friends standing around in a circle and the camera sat at our waist guessing where to aim but
RomeRomeRome

Colosseum
a couple came out.
After this we went to St Peters Church and it is unbelievably massive this place! By far the most impressive church we have been to while travelling it is awesome. First built in the 4th Century where St Peter was burried, the dome is 102m above the ground. We went wandering while inside and underneath the church is where all the previous Popes have been buried. Once again we have know idea about this but very lucky to have found that.
Thoses things above took up most of the day so quickly had a look around a few other things before we went out for tea. Treiv Fountain was on the way and if you throw a coin over your shoulder it means your coming back to Rome, we didn't realise that it has to be over your shoulder so we just chucked it in so no more Rome for us!
For tea we went out and had to try some more Pizza so we got three! Cant remember the names but all were good and that was a nice way to finish the day off.
Our last morning there we actually had to go and
RomeRomeRome

Around town
vote for the election back in Aus and that was a mission doing that! We first tried to back in France but not the correct dates and this and that but finally it is done!

That is just a very very quick sum up of some of the things that we did in Rome! So much to do and see there wish we had more time but would have missed out on other things I guess.

Take care all and next will be from sunny Greece hopefully.


Additional photos below
Photos: 122, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

RomeRome
Rome

Colosseum
RomeRome
Rome

Colosseum
RomeRome
Rome

Colosseum - Info
RomeRome
Rome

Colosseum
RomeRome
Rome

Colosseum
RomeRome
Rome

Colosseum
RomeRome
Rome

Colosseum
RomeRome
Rome

Colosseum
RomeRome
Rome

Around town
RomeRome
Rome

Around town
RomeRome
Rome

Santa Maria Maggiore - Built in the 5th century
RomeRome
Rome

Santa Maria Maggiore - Built in the 5th century
RomeRome
Rome

Basilica di San Pietro
RomeRome
Rome

Basilica di San Pietro - Looking at the chains St Peter wore during imprisonment
RomeRome
Rome

Basilica di San Pietro - Looking at the chains St Peter wore during imprisonment
RomeRome
Rome

Basilica di San Pietro - Michelangelo's 'Moses' sculpture


29th November 2007

Advice for Greece
Hey guys! Great work with the blogs as usual :) You have definately found your calling - do a journalism course and you will make millions hehe. Just some advice for Greece - if your going to take a Taxi anywhere, agree on the price BEFORE he takes you there, they are the worst for being ripped off. Also if you go to Mykonos ask around for a bus to the beaches, they depart from a cafe where you buy tickets, and go to a beach called Paradise Beach - its incredible! The bus ride is an experience in itself you dont know whether you're going to get their alive :) If you do go to the beach as soon as you walk through and get to the sand part turn to your left and go right across until you see hot pink chairs - you normally have to pay to use them but say your with Trafalgar tour (if they question you) and you get them for free. Also if little philipino guys or gals come around asking for massage...GET ONE! The best massage ive ever had in my life for 10 Euro! I was a bit bruised the next day hehe but it was unbelievable. Thats really it - the Greece are the friendliest lot and soooo much history as well! I hope you like oily food too :) Talk soon, Luv Court.
29th November 2007

another thing...
There will be a table top dancer all dressed in silver and later if you are game you get up and dance with everyone on the table and get free shots :)

Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0204s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb