Ciao Roma


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
June 8th 2007
Published: June 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

"It reminds me of Indiana" - That's what Hannah expressed as we were making our way in from the Airport towards Rome's city center. Our hotel, Residence Palazzo Al Velabro, is situated right next to the Roman Forum, where we can easily access many sites on foot. Our first day we walked through the Forum - it's essentially where Rome began. Later in the day, we walked to the Trastevere neighborhood where St Cecilia's Basilica and tomb are located.
The next day was an amazing day, which was spent at the Vatican. Pope Benedict XVI had a public service, which we were able to attend. Seeing him in person is a moving experience. The tour of the Vatican museum, Sistine Chapel and St Peter's Basilica was excellent since we had a tour guide all to ourselves. Alex, our guide from Angel Tours, was great...we happened to be her first tour ever! The art, artefacts, and architecture at the Vatican was magnificent but overwhelming.
Day 3 in Rome consisted of the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps. After putting down some gelati whilst sitting on the Steps, Hannah asked "When is the performance starting?" ...she was under the assumption that the Spanish Steps were some sort of dance troop!
Our last full day in Rome was spent seeing the Colosseum and the Palatine ruins. The kids have done great on this trip so far. There has been lots of walking and they have managed well (the gelati helps to motivate), trying different foods and even giving the Italian language a go. Saturday morning, we're off to the Tuscan country side for three days. Till then, Ciao!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.031s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0151s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb