Bella Toscana


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany
June 11th 2007
Published: June 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We left Rome early Saturday morning in order to avoid the congestions and chaos by President Bush's visit. We saw many police out in force, but we got out of town before the thousands of protestors began marching in the streets! Whew! We travelled north towards Assisi in the Umbria region, never seeing a speed limit. We were passed by many cars, even though Ramsis was driving a brisk 120 kph! After a couple of hours, we made our way up the hill to the beautiful town of Assisi and the Basilica di San Francesco. It is one of the most religious sites in the world and people come here on pilgrimages from all corners of the planet. It is a beautiful church with a upper and lower section. St. Frances lived a simple life, preaching the virtues of proverty and equal respect for popes and lepers alike. He had a special affinity to animals and nature. He founded the religious order of Franciscans. We could only keep the kids attention for an hour or so, but at least this history seemed more positive than much of what we saw in Rome!

Onto Tuscany, another hour or so west.
San Fabiano at SunsetSan Fabiano at SunsetSan Fabiano at Sunset

Our farm stay while in Tuscany
We are staying at a farm stay (agroturismo) called San Fabiano. The owners, Filipo and Rachel Fiorentini and their seven year old son David, live on the premises. It's all that you would imagine the Tuscany countryside to be. It is beautiful! San Fabiano is located near a town called Monteroni d'Arbia, about 12 K south of Siena. There are 3 other families staying at the farm, one from Finland (with 4 kids), another from the Virgin Islands, and two Canadian couples. The farm is on 1500 acres with olive groves and vineyards. There is even a castle on the property built in 879 AD. Filipo's father lives in the castle.

On Sunday we went to Siena, known for it's Gothic architecture. To keep the kids interested, we climbed the 400 steps up to the top of the Torre del Mangia (Bell tower). It was an incredible view from the top, looking down onto Siena and out into the Tuscan countryside. We had the best meal yet at a little trattoria off the main plaza. It was all homemade pasta.

On Monday we travelled an hour east to Cortona. We thought we would spend an hour or so,
Tuscan MorningTuscan MorningTuscan Morning

View outside of our bedroom.
but ended up spending most of the day there. Cortona is set on a hillside cloaked in olive groves and gave us stunning views across the Tuscan countryside. It is also famous for Frances Mayes book and film, Under the Tuscan Sun. We walked up to Chiesa di Santa Margherita (St. Margaret's Church), another beautiful church with the saint's tomb. And of course, had gelati afterwards!

Our time in Tuscany is coming to an end, as tomorrow we are off to Florence for our last 3 days in Italy. So far, everyone is still healthy and happy and learning more Italian everyday. Let's hope it stays that way!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

SienaSiena
Siena

A medieval town.
AssisiAssisi
Assisi

Saint Frances' Cathedral can be seen on the left side of photo.


Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0406s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb