Rome


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
May 4th 2007
Published: May 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

RomeRomeRome

cap roman style
So then to Rome. On trying to find our accommodation on the outskirts, one wrong turn took us into an area that was as third world as we've come across on this trip. In fact I'll give it 4th world status. Gypsies living in squallor. Good ol Mr Prodi (I think he is still PM, but given the volatile nature of Italian politics, who knows) has provided this community with a few port-a-loos for all their ablutionary needs. How about providing a bit of dignity for your citizens at the bottom end of the socio economic scale. (how do you increase the font size gradually to indicate increasing emotion?) Hard to place all the blame on Prodi after he inherited a brace of years of Berlusconism. Berlusconi, now there's a guy not too short of a quid. I wonder if he's ever lived in a gypsy tenement and sat on a filthy port-a-loo?
Anyway, the view of Rome from up here on my moralistic high horse is pretty spectacular, so we better delve into the maelstrom that is:
ROMA - a bigga city choca bloca fulla bigga olda thingsa. (I told yuz Italian was a piece of cake).
First up the
RomeRomeRome

The Vatican
Vatican. Should we really include the Vatican as part of Rome because we are ticking it off as another country. The queues to enter the Vatican museums were longer than Cronulla train station on a Monday morning. No museum could be that impressive. Plus, NO POPE! I rang ahead and told Benny we were coming but still no show. Talk about rude, not even a note to explain his absence.
Atop the cupola of St Peters Basilica affords an overview of one awfully historically well healed city, about as historical as any city can get. Colloseum, Forum, War memorial commemorating Italian war heroes (and I didnt even know Italy had any of those), Spanish steps (didn't notice any Italian steps in Madrid when we were there), Pantheon, and the list continues. Fabulous.
Last day in Rome and Pepe is booked in for his 10 000 klm service - already. Leaving the car at the Peugeot service centre, we were ready to head off for one last jaunt through the streets of Rome. Penny enquired whether we would need our umbrellas. I simply told her to stick her head out the window, a glorious 25 degree blue spring day, and added
RomeRomeRome

Standing guard over the Vatican
that umbrellas were not on the menu for this day.
2 hours later and using the Pantheon's mighty structure to shelter us from the pouring rain and umbrellas safely locked away in the boot of the car 45 minutes walk away. As a meteorlogist I make a great fireman.
It seems Rome is like that, topsy turvy, unpredictable and one fun time town.
ciao

Yeatesy

Rome...we were directed to our "destination" by two gypsy girls and not Tomtom for a change. We missed the "bare right" turn and ended up in a slum surrounded by barbed wire and port-a-loos on the outside of the fence (which unfortunately I had the misfortune to need to use - (words can't describe them). As I retreated from the loo (gagging) I noticed the 2 gypsy girls over at the car talking to Gary. My immediate reaction was - "we better get out of here quick before someone thinks he is soliciting them." But as I jumped back into the car and listened to the sprenchlish between them, I realised the girls were explaining how to get to Camp Roma - and they were spot on. You better watch out Jane. Camp
RomeRomeRome

Despite the masses and the rain, we find perfect uncrowded Vatican
Roma - yes camping in Rome, turned out to be a lot of fun. With our own little cabin on street 171-238 complete with pebble garden, plastic outdoor furniture, two single beds, a bar fridge and even a shower with hot water. The place comes alive at night as scores and scores of tourist from all over the globe pour in, even a few nuns were our neighbours for a night. For the young it has bars, cafes, internet, pool and a shuttle bus throughout the day to the Vatican. Pretty good value, and beats the 400euro the two aussie guys had to pay their first night because nothing else was available.
So what was Rome like this time round? The streets certainly have lots of smart cars, motorcycles and ambulances with sirens blaring day and night. And the footpaths seem filled with women wearing gold or silver sneakers, glitter ballet shoes and every second european carrying or walking their dog complete with designer collar and lead. The reason I notice this is because there is so much pooh on the pavement you need to keep your eyes cast down to avoid the regular landmines.
The sights of Rome. Well
RomeRomeRome

The Forum...
I have chalked up a few extra this visit. In particular, the Museum di Roma currently showing The World Press Photographic Exhibition, and one of Craig Golding's photos winning the silver medal. The exhibition is also on in Sydney, usually at the State Library for free (Rome charges 5.50 euro), so I recommend it to anyone interested in photography, or check the World Press Photgraphic Website and have a look. Oh by the way, it's probably better you don't take photos at the exhibition and get yelled at as we did, (stupid tourists).
The Vatican also was impressive, this time climbing the cupola to the top of the Sistene Chapel and looking at the view over the Vatican and Rome. Managed to fill up our water bottles with the Vatican water - does that mean its holy water! and the toilet was free. Pretty good value.
Collosseum still looks the same, doesn't appear to have lost any more of its walls, and we managed to get through the queues quickly - buy your ticket outside of the colloseum at the forum. So I leave Rome with a lot more photos, had a not bad cappuccino - and well priced, and
RomeRomeRome

Can't remember what this is.
a genuine Gucci belt. Did I mention the hoardes of Bangladesh and Sub Saharan guys lining every street leading to a major tourist attraction, selling either "designer" bags, belts, sunglasses or tri-pods!!
Penny

More images at:

www.colvinyeates.zenfolio.com


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

RomeRome
Rome

Nuns chilling out on an early Sunday morning
RomeRome
Rome

Piazzas a galora
RomeRome
Rome

World Press Photographics. The Golding Bear picks up the SILVER


Tot: 0.357s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 34; qc: 135; dbt: 0.1999s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb