Tuscany


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
May 1st 2007
Published: May 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

FlorenceFlorenceFlorence

The clone of David.
I'm going to write a book. All I need is a title. How about "Under the Tuscan Drizzle".
Jackets and umbrellas were pulled out of mothballs for spring time in Tuscany. Memories of Barcelona came flooding back as we wandered the damp streets of Florence. Another lost umbrella on the bus but at least they are reasonably priced, the only thing that is in this country. That's 5 we've now bought.
But I'll stop complaining and focus on the numerous positives of this engrossing area. Rolling vine cluttered hills, symmetrical olive orchards, emerald green fields and beautiful stone villages.
San Gimignano was our first major port of call. You can't challenge how alluring this town looks and its popularity is certified by the traffic jam of cars and tour buses snaking to and fro. I was wondering how all these visitors crammed into such a small town. On entering, it was pretty much standing room only down the main thoroughfare. Very few people seem to actually live here, it's merely a town that survives on squillions of tourists pouring in to offload their cash at the endless array of shops, a 12th century Westfields.
Florence is the big daddy of the
FlorenceFlorenceFlorence

From the Campanile il Duomo
area and kept us occupied for a whole day. But the crowds!!! The keen punters queue up early for the 10.00 am opening of the Uffizi and a viewing of David. The 400m, 2 hour line convinced us that a gawk at David's clone in the Piazza de la Signora would have to suffice. Plus I had already seen the real David on TV when he came to Springfield. That Piazza though is one hell of a public space. The sculptures lining the square could fill a gallery on their own.
Just down the laneway is the Florence version of il Duomo, one pretty darn imposing structure. We decided to climb the campanile which affords pigeon eye views of the dome as well as the rest of the city. The sun even stuck its head out for a few minutes in celebration.
60klms south is Siena where the Palio is run every 4th July - you know, that maniacal bare backed horse race around the Piazza. When the Palio is not in session, the race of the 4 cylinder diesel through the streets seems just as deranged. But then I do exaggerate, the traffic is actually reasonably tame, if dense.
FlorenceFlorenceFlorence

and again

May I now skip topics to food. BREAD - a basic human staple and Italy can whip up a competitive version. The trouble is first finding a bakery and then secondly pray its open. Italian bakeries open the second Wednesday of each month between 11am and 1130am when all the planets are aligned, but only during a hail storm and an attack of tiny zebras. (sorry, Bugs Bunny again). What bread shop in any other country closes for lunch. Not just any lunch, 4 pasta filled hours.
Meanwhile, back in Tuscany, we spent that afternoon in Montalcino, on the heavy recommendation of Jay Davis, your friend in Toscana. Beautiful town. Partook in a few wine tastings and particularly enjoyed a snifter of a local merlot. Contemplating the possibility of purchasing a dozen to ship home, we made a few enquiries. At 27 euros a bottle it is pricey but they would sit proudly in the Colvin/Yeates cellar. Now for the shipping - gee, only 260 euros to freight a dozen bottles of wine to Oz. I'll let you know wine vendor guy.
Yeatesy

Another week down, and another 1000 klms (or close to it). Tuscany is exactly as I
FlorenceFlorenceFlorence

Ponte Vecchio
have seen in Postcards and on calendars, and its not "touched up".
Florence has accumulated more tourists and less traffic inside the centre. I think I would prefer the more traffic less tourists, particularly when we had a few drizzly days. Climbing the 421 steps of Canpanile to overlook il duomo and Florence proved worthwhile as the rain cleared and the blue skies returned. We found a great cafe for lunch, the downside it was packed with American students, they are loud and every second word is "like".
San Gimignano, another hip town, full of tourists, which I know I should't complain about since I am one, but it would be nice to see some of these towns in their 'natural' state. San Gimingnano has its share of cafes and bars overlooking the many piazzas and plenty of souveniour shops, which are not too tacky - certainly no "Italian Sex Instructors" T-shirts.
Siena - plenty of people and school groups spilling out of the piazzas early in the morning. However, the churches, mesuems etc are really pricey to visit - so we observed Siena on foot only.
Montalcino (as recommended by Jay) was a great excuse to wander the streets/wall
MontalcinoMontalcinoMontalcino

Just one of the wine vendors
of the castle for a few hours and reward ourselves with a late afternoong wine tasting. Very delicious, shame about the shipping costs. Jay, when you next visit, maybe you can bring a few bottles home with you!
Penny

More images at:

www.colvinyeates.zenfolio.com


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

MontalcinoMontalcino
Montalcino

as recommended by Jay, your friend in Tuscany
TuscanyTuscany
Tuscany

Introducing, Tomtom / Jane from the eyes of pepe


Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0286s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb