Odyssey 2023 - Enjoying some local frutti di mare


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Sorrento
April 17th 2023
Published: April 18th 2023
Edit Blog Post

We were somewhat encouraged by the hint of sunshine and clear skies early this morning. But alas, it was not to be, as the clouds began to roll-in by late morning (just when Dee hung some wet towels on the drying rack outside on the balcony). Although there was no precipitation, the overcast skies lingered for the remainder of the day, with the high temperature reaching 59 degrees.

Around lunchtime we entered the maze of narrow streets to locate a restaurant on the Via dell'Accademia, oddly named "Piennol Land Food", that Dee had found during an internet search. It turned out the name of the place is derived from the sweet-tasting variety of tomato (piennolo) cultivated on the slopes of Mount Vesuvius.

The very friendly and attentive manager, who spoke excellent English, greeted us warmly, and then gave us ample time to go over the menu before ordering. In addition to the traditional pasta dishes, there were several seafood items that looked appetizing, including fried sardines and calamari. Initially, Dee turned-up her nose at the prospect of eating sardines, but shortly after they were served (in a paper cone like french fries) and she had tasted one, she changed her mind. We devoured them all, with Dee munching on her fair share of these tasty little critters.

For a second course, I ordered calamari, while Dee decided on a monster-sized salad with grilled vegetables, tomatoes and mozzarella, served with iceberg lettuce (something we've never encountered before in stores or restaurants in Europe). After consuming our meals (including yet more delicious Italian bread), along with two glasses of red wine for each of us, we were pretty much stuffed! Everything was delicious, and the service impeccable, so we'll likely pay a return visit to this place during our stay.

Sidebar: Just to give readers a sense of prices over here, today's lunch tab came to 68 euros (about $75). The four glasses of wine were a big chunk of the bill at 7 euros/glass (28 euros); and we did order the sardine appetizer in addition to our main courses. So far during our stay, the average lunch/dinner tab for the two of us has been $40. On this trip, as in previous ones, we normally eat a late lunch at a restaurant or cafe, then have a light meal for dinner at our apartment (oftentimes crackers, bread, cheese
Deep-fried sardinesDeep-fried sardinesDeep-fried sardines

At Piennol Land Food restaurant
and salad). Dee also cooks a great breakfast in the mornings (usually bacon, eggs and toast).

After finishing our lunches, we walked the short distance to Piazza San Antonino, then from there to Piazza Tasso, the main square. The crowds were noticeably thinner on the square today, as well as on the streets. Still, we sat down for half-an-hour on a bench in front of the statue of Torquato Tasso and did some people-watching (always a fascinating pastime for us over here). Tasso was a Renaissance-era poet from Sorrento, and the town square is named in his honor.

Yesterday was a miserable, soggy and forgettable day in Sorrento, with light rain and chilly temperatures. We did, however, venture out to grab a bite of lunch at the English Inn, which was packed with tourists seeking a warm, dry place. Since the outside terraces were closed because of the inclement weather, only the cramped and crowded pub area inside of the inn was open, and we were quite fortunate to wedge ourselves into a table for two after another couple had just finished. After lunch we slogged our way back to the apartment on the wet cobblestones, with a
CalamariCalamariCalamari

At Piennol Land Food restaurant
brief grocery stop along the way.

Dee's Comments:

Sunday was a complete washout (again), but we did manage to go to the English Inn for lunch, where we sat aside two young Canadian boys. We had a lot of interesting conversation with these two "backpackers" while we ate lunch. Apparently they had visited Rome, then took the train to Sorrento, and will continue on to Venice from here. This was the highlight of an otherwise miserable day!

Today the sun peeked-out briefly, then vanished by the time we went to find the Piennol restaurant. Oh my god...against my better judgment I ate sardines again. The last time was 7 years ago, at a restaurant on the Marina Grande harbor here in Sorrento, when I mistakenly ate the tails too! LOL, this time I skipped the tails.

Seeing more "puffy" coats and white sneakers; people pulling their luggage from the train station over the rough, cobblestone sidewalks...young, old, even handicapped people being pushed around in wheelchairs. This trip we're noticing so many dogs (on leashes mostly); stumbled on a store selling Este Lauder products. Despite the miserable weather, we're trying to enjoy the memorable moments and experiences.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Checking the menuChecking the menu
Checking the menu

At Piennol Land Food restaurant
Dee's giant salad bowlDee's giant salad bowl
Dee's giant salad bowl

At Piennol Land Food restaurant
Some juicy tentaclesSome juicy tentacles
Some juicy tentacles

Calamari at Piennol Land Food restaurant
Fish & chips platterFish & chips platter
Fish & chips platter

The English Inn


18th April 2023

It’s too bad the weather hasn’t been cooperating for you, especially on laundry days. Looks like you are making the best of it with food and drink! You can never go wrong with people watching!
18th April 2023

Enough should be Enough!!
The weather god needs to get over whatever it is that is bothering it!!! You did go to Italy correct, Not England???? Seriously... at least you are keeping spirits up, plenty of people watching, incredible food, and drinks, having good conversations and laughs with temporary new friends. Love to you both and keep positive... for this weather shall hopefully pass soon!! On the food note...Dee more power to ya, not sure how I feel about the sardines... just saying!
18th April 2023

Need Parkas
Weather not cooperating! But still enjoying the scenery..have fun a may sunny days be ahead
18th April 2023

Sardines?!
Hmmmmm,,,, I don't know about those sardines. I'll try anything once. The calamari and other dishes look great though. Glad you are able to work around the raindrops.

Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.1211s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb