Odyssey 2023 - Miserable weather (but a fabulous lunch)


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Sorrento
April 15th 2023
Published: April 15th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Benvenuti in CasaBenvenuti in CasaBenvenuti in Casa

Via degli Aranci 36/38, Sorrento
Rain showers moved into the area this morning, dropping temperatures into the mid-to-upper 50s, with enough of a breeze to chill our shivering Florida bodies to the bone. So we more or less laid low in the warmth of the apartment until one o'clock, when we decided to have a late lunch at Benvenuti in Casa, the family-operated restaurant across the street from our apartment. This little gem is becoming a favorite spot for us, not only for its delicious Neapolitan cuisine, but for the passion and friendliness of the energetic husband-and-wife team that do such an outstanding job in running the entire operation.

Today was our fourth visit to this restaurant since we arrived in Sorrento, two lunches and two dinners. We dined here when our friend from Rome paid us a visit, and she raved about the scialatiello limone vongole e totanetti (pasta with clams and squid). So today Dee wanted to try this dish, and she too thought it to be delicious. I ordered the meatballs in tomato sauce, which were the most tender and flavorful meatballs I've ever eaten anywhere; even Dee acknowledged they were more tender than the ones she makes back home in her kitchen!

As we were enjoying our lunch, we noticed the cutest little boy munching away on a plate of pasta at one of the other tables, while entertaining himself on a laptop computer. He turned out to be the 5-year-old son of the chef (Sofia) and her husband (Gianfranco), the couple that own and operate the restaurant. We had previously met Gianfranco's father, the kind gentleman who makes the delicious limoncello served here, and also lends a hand serving during the evenings. So it truly is a family affair!

We continue to be both amazed and impressed at how these two people are able to operate such a sophisticated restaurant, with little or no staff. This couple certainly deserves an award for their dedication, passion and commitment to serve gourmet-quality food with a personal touch, and we look forward to bringing our visiting friends here while we're staying in Sorrento.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Scialatiello limone vongole e totanettiScialatiello limone vongole e totanetti
Scialatiello limone vongole e totanetti

Pasta with clams, squid and lemon
Polpette al sugoPolpette al sugo
Polpette al sugo

We both thought these meatballs to be the most tender and tasty we've ever eaten! The tomato sauce was also delicious. Kudos to the chef at Benvenuti in Casa.


15th April 2023

Such a great find
Such a great find and right across the street! Can't wait.
16th April 2023

So lucky this gem is across the street. Nothing like fresh pasta, so delicious. They are such a cute couple and I suspect you have tried everything on the menu by the time you leave. Hoping for no rain and warmer weather today so you can get into some mischief. πŸ˜‰
16th April 2023

Yummy
What a great find. Everything looks delicious. May you have better weather!
18th April 2023

Chilly Conditions = Comfort Solutions
Seems that the weather is making sure you both make time to rest, and keep the shenanigans to a limit, lol!!! Seriously though hoping for some sunshine in the very near future so that the exploration may continue and my history lessons as well ;) That little restaurant across the way is quite the find (convenient, friendliness, incredible food and drinks, atmosphere). I believe you are creating more long term friendships ;) Stay safe and look forward to the next adventures of Dee and Mitch!!

Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0824s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb