theres more, i assure you


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Pompei
March 11th 2007
Published: March 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So our night in Naples (Friday) Bradley and I meet Steven (just out of class and in for the weekend) at the train station. In twenty minutes, twenty bums come up to us. Such is Naples. I like to think that our savy looks and decent Italian phrazery (yeah its a word, look it up) keep the attempted pickpockets at bay. (And yes, they are pickpockets, and not genuine unfortunates).

We see Steven, we meet his lady.

Dang Vesuvius is close to Naples. And its still active. Honestly, theyre asking for it again.

We chat and sleep.

In the morning, Bradley and I have more conversation with our Dixie-whistlin pal. Mostly he want to talk monster movies. You should have seen his eyes light up with Bradley convinced him that we really had seen most of the Godzilla movies ("You know megagodzilla!!!"). None of us can remember the name of the crab monster. A poor (with poor timing) korean guy emerges from his room just in time for desk guy to assume he is japanese (he is not) and understands english (he does not). He tries to impart the notion of crab by turning his hands into pinching claws and attaching the unsuspecting korean dude. He then mimes crabs crawling on the ground, eating crabs (does the korean guy think he wants to pinch him to death and eat him?) and the beach (where crabs live, obviously).

I love it.

We promise to watch John Carpenters The Thing.... and quickly back out the door.

Train to Pompei. Why did we actually pay? No one checks tickets in this country!

Pompei is fantastic. The ruins are huge (way huger tha I would have thought.... and so well preserved..... its a huge freaking city... really!). My favorite parts were a bakers, the theater, and (of course) the brothel.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.042s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb