it goes on and on and on


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Amalfi
March 11th 2007
Published: March 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Sorry to break all this up. This horrid computer will not email or upload any file over a couple paragraphs.

Where was I? Ah, Sorrento.

We pack our bags and hop a bus for the Amalfi coast. This is a fairly famous bus. The road is barely a lane. Yet traffic goes both directions (and at incredible speeds) along with bikes and pedestrians in places). The road also improbably hangs of high cliffs and makes hairpin turn upon hairpin turn as it snakes around granite landscapes so insane you wonder why or how anyone built anything here in the first place.

We we get off in the city of Amalfi we are nauseous, exhillarated, sick, and cold (why is the naples area colder than norther italy?). I booked us into a hotel (for the purposes of begining a hike the next day) in a small town so obscure I have never seen it on a map (other than the google world map). We must now get there.... and the only instructions I got from the hotel were "get to amalfi. get on a bus. tell the bus driver to take you to our hotel" as if its that easy. I refuse to pay for a taxi (sidenote.... its me, bradley, steven, and his lady still together for this part of the weekend.... we did pompei together as well). Some crazed brit named Christopher (name seared into my head by him repeating it so many times) comes up wanted to put us up in his hostel. When we say we have one already, he continues to help us find they appropriate way to get to our place. Chris was enourmously kind, and we did get on the right bus after all (nonexistant posted schedule)..... even if it was all in the attempt to get us into his restaurant later or to spread his business card around.

We were pretty much the only ones on the bus for the last half hour ("where the hell are we going"). When the hotel gave me information that included "we are 400 mts from the Bomerano main square and 700 mts up", I thought he had meant that the place was 70 meters above sea level and that a typo had been committed. As the bus rose up the hills (in the dark, though, so it was hard to tell.... I began to doubt this assumption.

..........

Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0455s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb