Day 15: Capri


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Capri
October 10th 2009
Published: October 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

October 10, 2009

After two days of not having to wake up at a specific time, it was difficult for Judy and I to make it down to the tender at 715 to head to Sorrento. The ship used their own lifeboats this time and they can surprisingly get 103 passengers in just one of them. We were over to the mainland in no time and met up with our guide Antonio.

This is the one and only shore excursion we purchased through the ship. We only did it because we did not want to get stranded over on Capri because the hydrofoil was full or the seas to rough to get back. The tour costs twice what it should and was terrible. Our guide contributed little to what we were seeing and was basically useless.

THe Isle of Capri is beautiful but not a good place to shop as everything is uber expensive. We rode a bus up to the top of the island on this one lane road. Frequently traffic would meet head-on and someone would have to backup and yield. At other times, our bus passed another bus by mere inches but these drivers have been doing it for years and are pros.

We visited a villa up on the hill and had lunch at a fine restaurant. We were served family style and given red wine. After lunch we walked to the north side of island which only took 10 minutes as the entire island is only six square miles in size. Judy and I shot some great photos of the rocks and grottos over there before getting a gelato and walking back.

To reach down to the port again, we had to ride the funicular. The funicular only took 5 minutes to bring us down but it was a fun experience. It is kinda like a cable car but on railroad tracks. Some folks we singing the old song about the funicular.

We probably would have enjoyed returning to Pompeii more than taking this tour. Should we ever decide to visit Capri again, we will do a private tour. Lesson learned.

Tomorrow we dock near Rome and disembark the ship.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0397s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb