Day 16: Rome


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
October 11th 2009
Published: October 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

October 11, 2009

Our travel plans to Rome got thrown for a loop as there was a train strike planned for today. Luckily, I was able to secure a last minute seat on the Princess bus to the city center for Judy and me. We said good bye to all our new friends and boarded our bus for the 100 minute ride into town. Traffic was very light probably due to it being Sunday and we got to the train station in no time at all. After a short taxi ride, we were at the Hotel Raffaello. Our good luck continued as the receptionist informed us that our room was ready.

We dropped our bags in the room and headed off to the Borghese Museum for our tour at 1500. Along the way we stopped at the Trevi Fountain and walked up the Spanish Steps. We also found a pizzeria to grab a bite to eat along the way.

The Borghese was fabulous just like it was when we visited 6 years ago. One has to make reservations in advance as tickets are not available same day. We saw some folks disappointed there because of this. We rented audioguides and set off exploring the museum for our short two hour allotted time. There are many beautiful statues by Bernini and paintings by Carravaccio.

We wore ourselves out walking to the museum and then standing on our feet for two hours on the tour. We grabbed a taxi for our next stop the Pantheon. Unfortunately we arrived just as the sun was setting so it was a little dark in the unlit church with an oculus in the ceiling. The crowds here like elsewhere we were today were heavy but manageable. We were chased out at 6 p.m. as they closed down for the night.

We headed west a couple of blocks to the Piazza Navona to find a spot for dinner. We selected from the many choices and sat in the front row of tables to watch all the people walk by. Our food was really good as was the wine and beer. Our waiter was very helpful and kind as well, a pleasant surprise.

Being a ways away from our hotel at this point, we got a taxi to take us home for the night.

Tomorrow we explore Rome further.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0394s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb