Capri


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Amalfi
April 29th 2017
Published: May 1st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Capri



We boarded the boat at nine and three days later we docked at Capri, or that's what it seemed. We were among the last to board so we sat inside while those who had pushed and shoved sat in the sun. The boat rocked, the people held on, we enjoyed the scenery, the boat rolled, the folk out in the sun on the stern got soaked, we enjoyed the scenery, the boat corkscrewed and people were using the barf bags while we were comfortable with the ride.

We took a cab up to Ana Capri where we found nothing but shops. Stopped for a cappuccino to warm up as the wind felt like it came from the North Sea. Not much to see there so we took a cab down to Capri to visit the gardens of Augustus. But first lunch. The eight of us decided on a hotel patio with beautiful flowers and vines. The food was good if expensive and the local wine was drinkable. Again I was a bit disappointed in the gardens but it is unfair to compare to tulip time in The Netherlands. Still the views were magnificent and I wished we had more time to explore. We headed back to the square and past Prada, Louis Vuitton, jewelry stores galore and gelato shops and candy stores. One could get a sugar high just walking past. We headed down to the Marina and while we waited for the boat we enjoyed gelato and watched the show as the waiters tried to entice customers. Our young man was particularly entertaining if not all together successful.

It was time to catch our ride home and as we waited on the pier I had my second Rick Steeves sighting. I said "Hi Rick" and he smiled and waved back. We boarded the boat and suffered the

perils of the seas for four days, or so it seemed. The upper deck was closed, we were ran parallel to ten foot swells and had nothing much to hold on to. We rocked, we rolled, we corkscrewed and same victims grabbed the bags. Our wharf was closed due to high seas so we continued along the coast until we found a safe haven. That left us with three options, the public bus, a cab or a half mile hike along the road. We walked, a really interesting experience on the narrow twisting road with rush hour Italian drivers.



Before dinner we had a short film about the town of Minori which was interesting.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb