Day 54-56 Sorrento, Amalfi and Naples


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Amalfi
June 27th 2011
Published: July 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post


We took the train from Pompei to Sorrento, a picturesque (but very touristy) town with lots of narrow streets on the cliff edge over looking the Amalfi coastline. Decided we would take the bus on the coast route to Amalfi. Wow! Some excitement the road was narrow in places and hanging off the side of the cliff...good job it was me who had the window seat and not Kim. The bus swerved, backed up, and bibbed at the approaching traffic, something the drivers must do every day, a journey of 1 1/2 hours of adrenalin and amazing scenery. Amalfi was lovely, quieter, with some interesting tunnelled walkways in the town. We couldn’t resist a swim in the sea before heading back on the bus.
Amalfi contrasted sharply with Naples , to which we went, again by train one day. Thank goodness we did not drive, the traffic here was completely mad...the worst driving we have seen in Italy. It was a frantic, noisy city. Every time you stopped walking someone would try and sell you something! To escape we had a break in the museum, cool and quiet.
Then as Naples is the founder of pizza we sort out the ‘best pizza in the world’, according to the book ‘Eat pray love’. A little place called Da Michele, where the service was terrible, and the menu short (only 2 types of pizza Margerita and marinara). We ordered the margarita with extra cheese, it was enormous, doughy ,wet (you could not eat it with your fingers), but it was completely delicious and we had watched it cooked in the coal fired ovens , so very fresh!



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

NaplesNaples
Naples

They put a sign up for me, actually a brand of coffee!
HerculesHercules
Hercules

In the Museum
Da Michelle PizzeriaDa Michelle Pizzeria
Da Michelle Pizzeria

As featured in the film Eat Pray Love


Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 14; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb