Day 52 -55 Pompeii &Vesuvius and naughty goings on!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Pompei
June 23rd 2011
Published: July 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Day 52 -55 Pompeii &Vesuvius and naughty goings on!

On the 24th August 79 AD, in the Bay of Naples, the Volcano Vesuvius erupted , an immense heatwave and rock, pumice and ash covered the surrounding towns and villages, killing many people instantly.
We have travelled south to Pompeii to see one of the largest ruins. It is spectacular, the ruins cover an area the size of Bromley town. They were only excavated by the mid 18th century, and some of buildings, like bathhouses, villas, houses even brothels are well preserved. The site includes an amphitheatre, with two other smaller theatres. It was so good we spent nearly 10 hours there. Our jaunty new hats came in handy once more!

We are staying in a camping ground, named Zeus only 200 yards from the ruin entrance, with the station entrance even closer. Perfect for trips to Naples, Sorrento and Amalfi.
Versuvius dominates the landscape around the bay of Naples, so we thought we’d take a closer look and took an open top bus, a single decker, it reminded me of the old charabangs people used to go on day trips to the seaside in the 1920’s. At the top it was what we expected, a big hole, the result of the whole mountain top exploding, but the view across the whole bay of Naples was terrific.
To finish our Pompei experience we visited Naples museum that houses much of Pompeii recovered statues, mosaics, pottery and even some naughty stuff!




Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0286s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb