Tulli Houses, Adriatic Sea, Lecce


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Apulia » Lecce
May 11th 2012
Published: July 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 40.357, 18.172

East to Alberobella the center for viewing Tulli Houses which are conical and made of stone. We saw several historic ones in the countryside. The center of the town of Alberobella has a tourist site with many of the houses located on their original sites in the old town. Most are now tourist stores selling the usual stuff. The homes are interesting in their construction and it seems to be a design theme because we saw several newer homes in the countryside which were of typical construction but had Tulli 'tops". We then headed down the coast along the Adriatic coast towards Lecce. Along the way we stopped at a small beach where we had leftover pizza from last night and I tried the water but it is not very warm yet. Lecce is considered to be the Florence of the south because of the Romanesque architecture. Many old churches and a castle turned into a gallery of paper mache works which seems to be an art form characteristic of this region. Even today there are local artists pursuing this art for. We are staying at a B & B on a street which seems to be a popular evening market. Our car is parked in a public area about 5 minutes from the hotel but it took about 10-15 minutes to find a free space. Tonight we hope to sample some Greek food because we would like some variety from pasta and pizza. Hopefully the market doesn't run too late. The weather continues to be great here in the south with temperatures of 24 - 27 degrees daily. We had maybe an hour of rain driving out of Rome and since then it has been sunny. The Italians could save a lot of money by taking down many of their road signs. Speed limits and stop signs are pretty much ignored. On main motorways some cars seem to be travelling well in excess of 150 KPH. Pedestrian markings on streets seem to be considered as decorations. Last night we met a coupe from BC who are travelling by car for 2 months.





Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



11th May 2012

Tired of pizza and pasta in Italy. How can that be? You still have three weeks to go.
12th May 2012

Absolutely fantastic pictures!!! So happyand envious for you both. Cheers

Tot: 0.307s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 55; dbt: 0.112s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb