Italian Fish Tales


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Apulia » Brindisi
April 18th 2009
Published: April 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

600 years old!600 years old!600 years old!

Visiting a 600 year old forno (bakery)…there has been a bakery operating in this same spot for 600 years…wow.
7th day - Friday
It was Lent and Friday so of course we had a fish fry that evening. We woke up at the crack of 9:30AM and headed with Sara to her fave pescheria (fish shop). We ordered orata fish for the main meal, mussels, and clams. We also went to another shop to order some additional delicacies that were not available at the first place for mostly…ahem, legal reasons.
At the second shop, we ordered various items in the crudo (to be eaten raw) category. The first was schiume (sea foam), these are fish hatchlings, it looks like goopy grayish paste when they are all together. Next was some kind of sea snail, some pied di capra (goat’s foot) which I really can’t define for you, suffice it to say that it is some kind of small sea creature and some oysters.
After that we headed to get some fresh bread. Last year Sara discovered a very well kept local secret of where the best bread in Brindisi is made. We didn’t know of its existence when we lived there otherwise we would have frequented that bakery. It is truly the best bread we have ever eaten.
There is
Meet the bakersMeet the bakersMeet the bakers

The owner is in the center and she has been a baker... forever…they make the best bread…evah!
a small handwritten one word sign next to the entrance. It simply says forno (bakery), that’s it, nothing else. It is located in the very old quarter of Brindisi and is reputed to be 600 years old!!! When we lived there, we must have walked by the place many times all the while remaining unaware of its existence.
Sara had already called the folks there and she led us to the shop. The owners were so kind and we took photos of the place and of them. Wow, a 600 year old bakery! The fresh bread smell was mouthwatering.
Afterwards Sara headed off to work and we headed to lunch. We had lunch at one of our reliable home-style meals place, Locanda dal Porto. They have a very loyal local customer base and it is easy to understand why. The owner of the place instantly recognized us and was happy to see us. The owner sent us a complimentary plate of crostini e pomodoro for us to start on before the antipasti showed up. I later chatted with one of the waiters and found out that he knew Sara & Vincenzo. After lunch we took advantage of the sunshine and
How much wood does a woodchuck?How much wood does a woodchuck?How much wood does a woodchuck?

The woodchucks chucked a chuckload of wood because this is a traditional forno.
took a walk around town.
Later that evening we were reunited with our friend Daniela, the secretary for the school where we had worked. I was amazed at what an ageless wonder she is. We were happy to see her again.
We had a huge meal of antipasti dishes along with the crudo, spaghetti alle cozze e vongole and the grilled orata. Needless to say, the wine flowed like water.
If you are wondering about the schiume (sea foam) it is eaten with a spoon or as a spread on some bread. This is not a delicacy for the weak of stomach. Toothpicks were used to dig out the cooked snails and Vincenzo cracked open the oysters and the pied di capra, these by the way tasted a bit like the snails.
Afterward we headed downtown for a walk and what else? Why gelato of course!



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Bella Donna! Al speaks Italian!Bella Donna! Al speaks Italian!
Bella Donna! Al speaks Italian!

Dark hair, dark eyes…Al momentarily swept off his feet by our good friend Daniela
Crudo delicaciesCrudo delicacies
Crudo delicacies

note all the seafood goodies…Vincenzo is cracking open the Pied di Capra, the schiume is in front of him…yummmm


Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0775s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb