Luigi Makes the Best Pizza


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Apulia » Brindisi
April 19th 2009
Published: April 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The road less traveledThe road less traveledThe road less traveled

Al prefers the road less traveled like the drive along the coast between Otranto and Santa Maria de Leuca.
8th day - Saturday
We went for a drive to "end of the world." That is what Santa Maria di Leuca is called by the Italians because it is the southern most tip of the peninsula. We didn’t spend much time there as it was starting to sprinkle so we headed up along the coast. It is a beautiful drive reminiscent of the Amalfi Coast.
The weather wasn’t cooperative and so the photos turned out like the weather, a bit gray. There is a thermal springs along the way and as we pulled into the little village we all thought we needed a dose of Tums.
It turned out that the sulfurous/rotten eggs smell became even more overpowering as we got closer to the place. The main spa was built in an arabesque style...it was pretty cool looking. This was a kind of theme that was used by some of the buildings in the place. I’m pretty sure that the place must be a hopping place during the summer, otherwise it looked pretty desolate.
We drove into Otranto just barely in time for lunch. It was pretty deserted as we walked into the old quarter. I stopped and asked a guy
Interesting architectureInteresting architectureInteresting architecture

Stopping at Terme Ceseara…the sulphur odor was intense even on this windy day…can’t imagine a hot calm day…
that closing up his souvenir shop if he could recommend a good restaurant. He pointed to a small place that was two doors down. And yes, the place was very good. The chef had won awards and they were proudly displayed on the wall.
They had a very nice cold rose’ on tap and we had a liter of that. The seafood was dynamite. Afterwards we walked around a bit but the weather just didn’t encourage much more than that so we headed on down the road.
Beth and I stopped in to surprise our former landlord, our dear Mina. The surprise was on us as she was not there. Apparently she has moved to live with her sister in another town. So we popped in on the owners of the small vegetable and fruit shop that was close to our former apartment. Aldo and Maria were surprised to see us. We visited with them and they gave us the address to Mina’s new residence. While we were visiting them, the discussion turned to the economy. The upshot was that the Italians like lots of other folks have been living on credit and spending more than what they make, so when the economy took a downturn the bills came due and there was no money to pay off the debts. They were appalled that people were still being enticed to live beyond their means. I told them that this was the same thing in the US.
We went back to the apartment to rest and nap and get ready for our last meal in Brindisi. That evening we headed to Luigi’s L’enogastronmia di Luigi. His is definitely the best pizza in Brindisi. He is very innovative in the ingredients he uses on his pizza. His nouvelle approach is very different from the traditional pizza that is the norm in Brindisi. We also really like the way his pizza dough tastes. Our travelling companions agreed that this was the best pizza they have ever tasted…so there you have it.
It was great to sit in his shop and people watch all the while we drank great wine and ate fabulous pizza. The national team (Azzuro!) was on the tv playing Montenegro and the line of takeout pizza customers were all watching…of course! We also had Sara retell the story of how she and Vincenzo met and will soon be married.
Our parting was not as sad as the first time because they are moving to the USA and they will be coming to Idaho to come stay with us on their way to Calif. I’m looking forward to taking Vincenzo out to the desert and the mountains of Idaho. Italy is such a crowded country that I want him to experience the magnificence of the Idaho wilderness.
Note: Luigi’s is located on Via Provenciale San Vito, Brindisi.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.186s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 10; qc: 60; dbt: 0.1449s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb