Gruit makes the best beer in Italy


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Apulia » Brindisi
April 16th 2009
Published: April 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The PortoThe PortoThe Porto

A view of one of the ancient gates or Porto into the old quarter of Brindisi. This is the view from the front of Gruit.
6th day - Thursday
Today we got up late yet again. It was raining hard and it was dam-p coldish...hee hee hee. No sense in getting out of bed too early!
Today's goal was to go to Lecce, do some sightseeing, find an internet point, and take care of a problem with Sam's phone.
We departed for Lecce hopeful for a break in the weather and upon arrival it was still raining and everything was closed up for the afternoon break, doh! So we went to a local mall to see if we could resolve some of these issues and wait for the weather to improve - it did!
We found what appeared to be the only public phone in the mall and Sam contacted his phone company/European division. Meanwhile Beth and I went looking for a moka to take to our good friend Dan. Once you drink coffee Italiano style, it’s hard to drink it any other way. To my taste anything is just plain schiffo! In the meantime the rain stopped and yippee…the sun came out so we headed off to the historical center.
We wandered around the center just doing some casual sightseeing. Terri stopped in at a
All Star LineupAll Star LineupAll Star Lineup

The lineup of the very best microbrew produced in all of Italy. Every single one of Gruit’s beers is a winner…take my word for it.
shoe store and bought a pair of leather boots for a spectacular price. There were only two pairs left in the style she wanted and they were selling them at a deep discount. One of the two sizes fit her…how swell is that. Ok, so the skies had cleared and after some warming sunshine it began to get dark and the temperatures plummeted. I swear that I could see my breath. We decided that it was too cold to continue.
The only problem was that after visiting the historical centre the late afternoon had turned to evening, shops had reopened and everything looked different. I missed the street that led us back to the car...gacked that one! After retracing our steps, we found the street that took us back to the car. Getting turned around can be easy to do when crisscrossing medieval streets.
After returning to Brindisi, Sara & Vincenzo had a special treat for us. A friend of Vincenzo's has opened up a micro-brew pub (and pizzeria, natch). They were excited about this place and in fact in earlier correspondence had been telling us about this place. They assured us that we would really like this place.
We
Hanging with the localsHanging with the localsHanging with the locals

Al recommends getting away from the tourist trail…the place was hopping…Al was feeling the groove and the locals were getting jiggy
did, in fact we loved it. Gruit is a must stop for any beer lover that is passing through or by Brindisi, or anywhere in Puglia. They make killer beer! They use no preservatives and only the finest natural ingredients.
I like really good beer and I cannot rave enough about their beer. I liked every one of their beers and I particularly liked the rosso and the Weizen. Their pizza is very traditional and good eats when drinking that great beer.
To top off the evening, they had a live band that is very popular in the south because it plays traditional Italian folk music. It is a very lively music and it reminds me of Irish jigs and gypsy music.
The place was packed and people kept coming in steadily, on a Thursday night no less. There must have been close to a hundred folks inside the place as there was not a single table open.
When the music fired up people were getting up and dancing a traditional dance called the la pizzichietta. It is a very lively and fast paced dance. I wish I knew how to perform that dance because I would have joined in
Got Pizza?Got Pizza?Got Pizza?

Al eying the pizza Diavola…Al likes his pizza spicy…
as my feets really wanted some action!
If you are ever in Puglia come to Brindisi toGruit - you can thank me later.
Note: You can visit their website at www.gruit.it to get more info.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Good Time IngredientsGood Time Ingredients
Good Time Ingredients

Superlative beer, tasty pizza, great tune-age, happy crowd, cool location...impossible not to have a good time!
Ain't life great!Ain't life great!
Ain't life great!

Great friends, great beer, great music, great pizza, great times, great adventures…ain’t life great!
Dance FeverDance Fever
Dance Fever

Brindisinis letting their hair down.
Cin-cinCin-cin
Cin-cin

Vincenzo, Israel, and Al drinking the superlative Weizen
Al is very socialAl is very social
Al is very social

One of the servers was a bit skeptical about Al
Al meets the bossAl meets the boss
Al meets the boss

Al hanging with Carlo, one of the co-owners and founders of Gruit.
We're #1We're #1
We're #1

Italo is the other co-owner/founder of Gruit
One for the RoadOne for the Road
One for the Road

The next morning Al woke up wondering where he was
Taking a breatherTaking a breather
Taking a breather

Al taking a break from drinking his fair share…overindulgence is easy when everything tastes great


Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0715s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb