TMB 3/4


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Aosta Valley » Courmayeur
July 8th 2017
Published: July 9th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Back a couple of days, in order to make up for no wifi.

A couple of musings first. I'm big on musing (they really only have to make sense to me!).

When you are walking up hill you want to walk down hill. When you walk down hill you want to walk up hill. When it's flat you know it's going to change soon.

Calling this entry TMB 3/4 is a bit of a joke (on us though) as there is nothing done by halves or fraction here. This is a full on walk.

From now on anyone named Col has some automatic credibility. The 'cols' are the top of passes, not the highest points but the crossing between 2 ranges. The col de Seigne is the French/Italian border. Any 'col' is good as it means you've probably slogged it out for a vertical 600 m or so. Doesn't sound much! Do the maths with me. If each stair rise were 20 cm, that's 5 per metre then multiple that 5 by 600 to get 3000. And at times 20 cm is more than we can handle! Anyway I'll stop musing on vertical ascent and descent.

It's never fun to do your washing in the sink. (And to think some people asked if I'd miss Lee! )

Gelato is the answer to any question. If the G20 were held in Italy world problems could dissolve as quickly as its eaten. My tummy has been a bit squeamish lately (most unlike me) so gelato and the rest day may be just what I need.

There are walkers, mountain bikers and 'super athletes' all round the place. I'm pretty sure I have a photo of a biker on to of the mentioned col de Seigne.

To day 3.

Gentle Climb from Les Contamines and that's a relative term. Very scenic, verdant green forests, cascading waterfalls and a pretty good track. So there's the first half hour, wait for the next seven! We climb (that's walk but...) some 600 m to the refuge de Balme for some icecream (no gelato!) them climb some 650 m more to the good old col, this time the Col de Bonhomme (good man!). Not much there other than the satisfaction it's downhill for a while. Down a bit then up a bit to 2485 m, one of our highest points before descending to the refuge Bonhomme where quite a few stay as it is spectacular. I'd say breathtaking but we are usually breathless anyway so I'm not sure if it's the scenery or our fitness. Really our fitness is pretty good. We rest regularly, Julie often behind a bit but requiring shorter breaks. It's a bit of hare and tortoise but it works. Many people know us as the brother and sister (one lovely Isralie couple yell that whenever we see them) and say what a great bonding experience it must be. Well! Check back in 10 days. After the refuge it's 900 down to Les Chapieux (points if you find that on a map!). Nights restless sleep with 6 new friends in dorm accommodation on the top bunk, the others will regret giving grandad and grandma the top bunks! The food was surprisingly good. Very hearty soup and slow cooked pigs' cheeks that were very good. Surprise, surprise they were served with potatoes as is just about everything. The 'refugees' we're all in bed by half past nine! We have 2 nights in refuges coming up, where our luggage cannot be transported, apparently supplies are usually helicoptered in. We arrived here at the Refuge Nova told our room Number and nothing..... I thought we had bag transport so I checked, thank goodness otherwise our bags (clean clothes, soap etc) would have stayed untouched. Showering and drying with T-shirt you took off doesn't win many new friends!



Day 4.

Up the valley de Chapieux. Follow a group of TMB tourists up the hill for 30 minutes before realising we going the wrong way! It's easier to do than you think but it did make for an hours extra walking. Julie was mumbling something about something but I pushed ahead out of vocal range to be on the safe side. I don't think it was the cows with those wonderful bells or the wild flowers she finds so cute but a 100 m or so is a good solution to most problems. Up to the Ville de Glaciers and the Refuge de Mottets. And yes gelato, and good flavourful raspberry gelato. From here the 700 ascent is described in the guide book as 'neither long nor arduous', I'm wondering which of the Grimm brothers wrote that! But the Col de Seigne is beautiful. Just standing (well laying really) on the border has a certain something about it. I thought it quite a feat until some mountain biker whizzed past! Then it's to the Refuge Elisabeth, a rather charming spot, more charming if we we to finish our day there. But another hour and a half (ish) To Visaille which has a local bus to Courmayeur. And is that a good 2 Euro spent. Don't even think about it, the answer is YES.

And here we are in Courmayeur. Today will be rest day and recover. My tummy is not terrific so I'm hoping it gets a bit better.

Anyway will blog re today pretty soon.

Caio for now.



Rob


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



9th July 2017

Glad you're alive
Good to read another blog entry. It is sounding like hard work - but with glorious payoffs!! Do you read these comments? If yes, how do I know?
9th July 2017

Bun
Cause I respond. Robbie

Tot: 0.649s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1492s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb