Tuesday 6th June 2017


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland
June 6th 2017
Published: June 6th 2017
Edit Blog Post

It was a very stormy night and the day continued with strong winds and heavy downpours. Not much sun. We boarded a coach at 9:30 and headed into Belfast. Our guide took us on a city tour including the Falls and Shanklin Roads. We were surprised how small the area seemed after watching all the troubles on the news. Some of the peace walls are still in place. Belfast is gradually recovering and tourism is returning.

We had a tour round Belfast City Hall. It is amazing inside with lots of marble, a sweeping staircase and an impressive atrium. We were shown into the robing room and one of our party tried on a robe. Then we went into the council chamber and sat in the councillor's seats. The room was panelled out with carvings done by the same man who went on to do the wood carving for the Titanic .There were lots of stained glass windows. We finished up in the biggest function room heavily carpeted and only used for civic functions or charitable events. We also saw Belfast's new mayor, a 28 year old young lady who was being filmed before the council meeting this afternoon.

After lunch we went to the Titanic quarter which is on the harbour side. There are lots of new buildings and old buildings have been refurbished and used for offices and businesses. Loads of building going on everywhere. The Titanic exhibition was enormous and very interesting with lots of interactive screens to operate. It finished up with a film showing the remains of the Titanic on the seabed as it was investigated in the 80's.

We had a quick look over the Nomadic which was the boat which ferried passengers to the Titanic in Cherbourg, apparently the only boat remaining from the White Star Line. Now back on site absolutely shattered!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.343s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.059s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb