3rd June 2017


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland
June 3rd 2017
Published: June 3rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday we left the camp site at Wyre Piddle and headed for the M5 and M6. We left in sunshine but it soon became overcast and it started to rain. There was the usual heavy traffic and it was slow going especially past the roadworks which seemed to go on for miles. Several services didn't take caravans so we had a late lunch near Chester off the M53. By that time it was pouring and I had to paddle out in my flip flops and shorts.

By now we were near our next destination Little Storeton village near Birkenhead. We stayed at Grange Farm CL. It was a little spot with horses, sheep and chickens around. The chickens followed Simon around, especially after he fed them Rich Tea!

We decided to do a dummy run to the docks so we knew where to go in the morning. It was just as well as the road was blocked off and there was a diversion. We were able to work out a suitable route for the caravan and went back to the van for pizza and a glass of wine .We had our first shower in the caravan and it worked surprisingly well! Then an early night ready for the morning.

This morning we were up early in the sunshine and were on the road at 8:30. At the docks there was poor signage so we didn't have a clue where to go. I went into the office but there were only foot passengers in there who also did not know what was going on. Someone pointed out a notice saying those with vehicles had to go to check in to the end of the building. Lady in the kiosk knew who we were without asking and gave us our boarding card. We didn't have to show any documents. Next the security people wanted to look into the van reminding of us having the motorhome searched in southern Africa for illegal game. they didn't say what they were looking for but we soon were waved on to join the queue for the boat.A double decker bus came off from Belfast, a journey with a difference!

We were soon loaded on and walked to the boat entrance. An escalator took us up to the passenger deck, very different from our last ferry trip many years ago. At 10:30 we were off sailing between Liverpool and Birkenhead, presumably the Mersey? There didn't seem to be many seats apart from in the two restaurants. fortunately there were not many passengers and most of those were in cabins. Time went quite slowly. I read the paper while Simon dozed and then went to lunch. We read for awhile. We passed the Isle of Man where my sister Marjorie taught for awhile. As we got nearer to Ireland it started raining. We finally docked at 6:30 in Belfast, the rain stopped and we were soon on the road.

There didn't seem to be much traffic on the motorway. We found the campsite Six Mile Water Caravan Park near Antrim on the shores of Lough Neagh. We were welcomed in and soon sited up. It was sunny when we arrived but later had a short thunderstorm. Early night now and looking forward to exploring tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.232s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0462s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb