Ireland - Portrush


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland
August 19th 2010
Published: August 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Avarest - PortrushAvarest - PortrushAvarest - Portrush

Lodgings for the night
Sorry folks having such a good time we haven't kept up to date but will do so over the next day or so.

The boys felt very guilty at not stopping for us to do some shopping at Galway when we left Sligo - so we stood our ground and we did serious RT and the boys took off to the Royal Sligo Golf Course to have a look at a true links course. All was achieved with RT and the boys were happy too.

Heading for Londonderry for which we were a bit worried about as the news had said a series of pipe bombs in the city of 'Derry' however pressed on and got there well before expected after doing a short tour of 'Derry' and stopped for lunch and a bit more RT whilst John headed off to walk the Old Walled City of Derry and take in the historical content.

We then pushed on to Portrush which is a typical English orientated seaside resort complete with carnival on the foreshore - right in the middle of school holidays and the place was pumping! ... English Style... I'm told. We stayed in a quaint seaside
Walled city DerryWalled city DerryWalled city Derry

Gun defenses
terrace house probably built before the 19th century.

Next day off to Larne and this was going to be a big day - we planned on visiting Bushmill - the Irish Whiskey Distillery. According to the tour guide - it's the oldest whiskey in the world dated 1608!! We had a great time and sampled the good nectar.....(yuk!) and some had more than others - the guide and Johns got on well and he offered them some of the really good whiskey..... was fun driving after that....

Headed off to the Giant Causeway and the rope bridge but after the whiskey - lost our way... eventually found it and looked at the natural phenonom created and unfortunately the rope bridge was far too far away for us to walk to but the other two walked over to see it but didn't go on it.

Larne is a shipping port with ferries to Scotland and other islands and the accommodation was in the same format as Portrush ..... but a little better.





Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Walled City DerryWalled City Derry
Walled City Derry

Re-enactment
Bushmill DistilleryBushmill Distillery
Bushmill Distillery

John x 2 with extra drinks from the Tour guide - Diaego.


Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0196s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb