Athenry


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland
June 22nd 2009
Published: June 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Saturday was the start of our first overnight trip. Me and 9 other students went to Athenry, about a 15 minute train ride from Galway. It was a small town, maybe as big as new roads in population (doubt it) but it is really condensed, everything is within walking distance, more so than in Galway. First thing we did was check in at the B&B, it was nice, had two donkey and Colleen the dog. Then we went to the B&B lady's suggestion to (one of) the local pubs to eat. Best place thus far. I had beef and Guinness casserole, meat could've been cut with my finger, the Guinness gravy was really good, the buttery potatoes, steamed carrots and peas were great. It was a really good lunch.

After lunch we went to the local heritage center, it was a really old church (town dates back to the 1200s), and learned a bit about the town. Then we met Seamus (Shay-mus) Lynch, local historian who is apparently pretty big in Ireland, who bought us to the Abbey, or the Dominican Priory, it was old and burned down numerous times, but looked cool.

Then we went to another pub and watched a hurling match (intense) and chatted with the locals there. Then proceeded to another pub where we thought there would be traditional Irish music, but ended up just being...not, it was pretty bad.

Next day we went to the Athenry castle, not overly big, but still pretty cool.


Last night once we got back, a majority of the LSU group went to a pub to watch a soccer game, which I left soon after it was over (1000ish) to go read my book in the apartment only to hear the latest gossip from the girls. (something about one girl likes someone (who has a girlfriend back home) and get really mad when another girl even talks to him, I don't know, It's crazy)

Today was nothing, just class and walking around downtown, but we are havinga party tonight, because at midnight we will be able to see LSU in the first game live on tv



Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0356s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb