Galway, City of the tribes


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Galway » Galway
July 8th 2010
Published: July 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Our accomodations are very comfortable here at the Westwood Hotel in Galway. We had a wonderful dinner last night. Later Frank, Sue and I got together for a chat session and a few brews. Bob and Joyce attended an Irish dance performance and I will get information and photos from them later and let you know about that.

On the bus ride to Galway, we made up a fragmented fairy tale and all of the participants contributed to it. It actually turned out quite funny and we had a few good laughs on the long bus ride. However, we are always entertained by our driver/guide, Dermott.

Touring day today of the City of Galway and the Aran Islands. Galway City, known as the City of the Tribes , is an important tourist centre and a gateway to the scenic areas of the county. In the 1400s, there began in Galway the rule of the 'Tribes', as the leading fourteen families were called. Their names were Athy, Blake, Bodkin, Browne, D'arcy, Deane, ffont, French, Joyce, Kirwan, Lynch, Martin, Morris, and Skerritt. I inquired about the word "tribe" to our guide and he said that it is basically the same as the term "clan"

The three Aran Islands, Inis Mór Island (Big Island), Inis Meáin Island (Middle island) and Inis Oírr Island (East island) are situated in a north westerly, south easterly direction at the mouth of Galway Bay, Ireland. They are famous for their geological formation, historical monuments and their linguistic and cultural heritage. We visited the Inis Mor Island and walked up to the ancient fort there and looked over the cliffs ! Absolutely amazing. Frank, Bob and I had fun joking, making up stories and taking photos.

The Irish(Gaelic) language is still spoken here and in the twenty first century all native born islanders are bilingual in both Irish and English. The Irish language has a sing song quality to it and I just love to listen to it. When we got down from the upper part of the island, we did a little shopping and guess what else? A couple of stouts, then back onto the ferry to the mainland. The ferry ride was uneventful but we practiced walking like a sober person as the boat keeled from side to side.

After a great dinner and some nightcaps, it was off to slumberland.......I have never been so tired in my life!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Susie's new wrapSusie's new wrap
Susie's new wrap

Donegal colors


Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0307s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb