Travel Day: Sligo, Castlebar, Galway


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Galway
July 7th 2010
Published: July 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Today was a travel day. We began the day with another great breakfast buffet--eggs, bacon/ham, potatoes, fresh fruit and a variety of breads. We boarded the bus to travel south around Donegal Bay and stopped in Belleek to visit the Belleek Pottery Factory to see how the craftspeople mold, shape and decorate the world-famous fine china. The factory was established in 1857 and is situated on the River Erne. It is one of the top five visitor centers in the country. In the center of the building we viewed one of the oldest and most prestigious pieces of Belleek ever made. It is called the Belleek International Centre Piece and was displayed at the Paris Exhibition in the year 1900 where it was awarded its fourth gold medal. I would imagine that the Sweeneys contributed more to the Irish economy. But it really was a neat demonstration of how the fine china is made.

We made a brief stop at Drumcliffe Churchyard to view the grave of W. B. Yeats, the Nobel prizewinning poet, who based many poems on the delightful countryside around Sligo. Then it was on through to County Mayo to Castlebar where we visited the Museum of Country Life. Castlebar is one of the fastest growing towns in the country. Castlebar was originally a garrison town and derives its name from a settlement around the de Barra Castle in the 11th century. A town steeped in history with one of the oldest buildings being Christchurch whose foundation stones were laid in 1739.
at the museum we viewed collections of domestic goods, in daily use from 1850 to 1950.

Each day after a tour, we are treated to scones and tea. I can only speak for myself, but I don't think I can take another scone! Not that they are not good but they are a bit heavy. Coffee is great here and much stronger than what we drink ! I know that I need it b/c sleep is kind of a rare commodity for the Sweeneys. We have been very good in the evening and so far there are not hang over stories to tell.

We are now at the WestWood Hotel here in Galway. Very nice place with great rooms and very well appointed.. Wifi too. I will add more pics later. We have so little free time it is hard to get this damn blog up.

Later!

Advertisement



7th July 2010

Thanks for keeping us updated on your trip! I love the stories...and it gives me something to do since I can't go outside. Today is day 4 of 90 plus degrees...ugg! Tell everyone 'hello', for me.

Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0436s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb