On to Killarney and a bit of folklore.


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland
July 9th 2010
Published: July 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Today was yet another travel day. So far we have traveled over 600 miles of the Emerald Isle! When we are done, it will be over 1000 miles! So we have seen a great deal of this magnificent island from whence we hail!

Our first stop was the Cliffs of Moher which I found to be spectacular but not nearly as spectacular as the cliffs of Aran. Situated in County Clare and bordering the Burren Area, the Cliffs of Moher are one of Ireland's most spectacular sights. Standing 230 metres above the ground at their highest point and 8km long, the Cliffs boast one of the most amazing views in Ireland. We were very lucky in that the weather was perfect --sunshine and very little wind. Near the cliffs stands the O'Brien Tower.

On our way out of Galway, we also made a quick photo stop at the Cathedral of Galway.

Later our guide, Dermott, who is a wealth of information, today talked about some of the myths and legends of Irish folklore. The first legend had to do with the Puca who appears as a creature about the size of a horse but has the features of
French LadyFrench LadyFrench Lady

Very, VERY rude....
a goat. Puca is both respected and feared by those who believe in it. Most often it appears to a man on the way home from the pub. The puca is said to take the lad on a ride of his lifetime. When the "ride " is over, the man looks like he has been through the mill. Upon his arrival home, his excuse is that he encountered the puca and that is why he looks so bad and is so late coming home!

The next legend had to do with the changlings. Any child who is not baptized or who is overly admired is especially at risk of being exchanged. It is the baby's temperament, however, which most marks the changeling. Babies are generally joyful and pleasant, but the fairy substitute is never happy, except when some calamity befalls the household. For the most part, it howls and screeches throughout the waking hours and the sound and frequency of its yells often transcend the bounds of mortal endurance.
A changeling can be one of three types: actual fairy children; senile fairies who are disguised as children or, inanimate objects, such as pieces of wood which take on the
Guess where we are?Guess where we are?Guess where we are?

Pub on Aran Island
appearance of a child through fairy
magic.

Another legend has to do with the Banshee who is a female spirit seen as a messenger of death and an omen of death. The banshee can appear in a variety of guises. Most often she appears as an ugly, frightening hag, but can also appear as a stunningly beautiful woman of any age that suits her. In some tales, the figure who first appears to be a "banshee". Although rarely seen, her wailing voice will be heard by some Irish family member foretelling of a death about to take place. Many Irish folk believe in the banshee and other fairies.

And of course, one canNOT leave out mention of the famous Irish leprechaun. A leprechaun is a type of fairy in Irish folklore, usually taking the form of an old man, clad in a red or green coat, who enjoys making mischief. The Leprechauns spend all their time busily making shoes, and store away all their coins in a hidden pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. If ever captured by a human, the Leprechaun has the magical power to grant three wishes in exchange for their release.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

New conceptNew concept
New concept

Pour your own pint at your table
Yes!Yes!
Yes!

This is Carol w/ a pint of Guinness


10th July 2010
French Lady

isn't that aunt sue?

Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0801s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb