Day 03


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Donegal
May 2nd 2019
Published: May 3rd 2019
Edit Blog Post

Bogsite Bogsite Bogsite

This is a view from the wall, looking down on the Bogsite buildings. You can see some of the murals on buildings facing the wall and going to the right, if you can zoom in on them.
Day 03

It was a leisurely morning, the first thing on our agenda was the walking tour of Derry, which was at 10AM. We had to check out, but left our bags with the hotel to retrieve on the way out of town after the walking tour.

The tour was led by a gentleman with his yellow tour guide rain jacket, shorts and sandals. We had coats on because the wind was very brisk and very chilly 48F. It did not rain on us, so big plus.

The city built a wall around it to protect it from it’s enemies. It can claim to be the only walled city that has never been breached. The area inside the walls are 30 acres of land. The center of the city has a monument to those that have died in World War I and II, but the location was used initially as a strategic spot because it could see all four gates clearly and defend itself from those entering if they breached the gates. The official name of the city is Derry, and the residents are not happy that the Brits added London to the name.

One of the
Our guide John Our guide John Our guide John

Yes, we are all in a church. This is Great James Street Presbyterian Church that had a small congregation, and the building was falling apart. The city rulers all came together, and voted to use restoration grant funding, which was several million Euro's. A great example of everyone working together to accomplish an honorable goal, without getting politics and religion in the way. The restoration took 2nd place in building restorations in Europe when it was completed. As you can see it was done very well.
areas on the tour that we could see from the wall, was the Bogside, which was outside the wall and where a 13 people got killed, 14 wounded during the Bloody Sunday protest on Jan 30, 1972. There are several nice murals painted on the buildings to honor those killed. All the major news crews had teams on the wall filming the riots below that lasted several days. Years later, the British investigation concluded that the British soldiers killed all the Catholic protesters. They were all unarmed running away from the soldiers or helping those injured or dying.

Since then, there has been hands stretched out to help both Protestants and Catholics.

After leaving Derry, we headed toward Teeling. Along the way, we wanted to stop and see the Glenveagh Castle and Gardens and The Fanad Head Lighthouse. We traveled the Wild Atlantic Way, which is a route designation for scenic and off-the-beaten path sights.

We saw the Glenveagh Castle and Gardens, ate lunch in their café and made it back to the car to continue our trip to Slieve League, where we spent the night. It was near the Slieve League cliffs, which was our first
Fanad LighthouseFanad LighthouseFanad Lighthouse

The first lighthouse replaced a British Watch Tower after the HMS Saldahna wrecked in 1811. The only survivor was the Captains parrot. The current lighthouse was established in 1886. During wartime, this was a critical point to defending the Allied ships bringing supplies to the troops.
sight to see the next day.

We checked into our B&B, and headed into town to try out a local restaurant, which all seem to be Pub oriented. The town Teeling is not a big town, but the place we ate, the Rusty Mackerel, had good food and an Irish feel to it.

Back we go to the B&B to settle in for the night. Breakfast orders were taken when we checked in so it would be ready when you got to the eating area after 8AM.

Goodnight, and we will pick up tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Family KeatingFamily Keating
Family Keating

Visiting the Fanad Lighthouse.
Tree archway Tree archway
Tree archway

The trees have been trained over the arches, and provide a nice shade. Rain, however, still falls through the leaves. It was a brief and light misty rain.
Yellow flowers on bush.Yellow flowers on bush.
Yellow flowers on bush.

These bushes are blooming the lovely flowers all over the island. We have seen them every where we have traveled, and I was able to get an upclose and personal view of this on the Castle grounds.
Glenveagh Castle Glenveagh Castle
Glenveagh Castle

The Castle was built between 1870 and 1873.
Castle Gardens of GlenveaghCastle Gardens of Glenveagh
Castle Gardens of Glenveagh

This is a small Castle, with a nice garden, and pleasant surroundings. It was built from 1870-1873, from granite, and site on the small lake. It was not a defensive fortress.
Flowers from the CLF family.Flowers from the CLF family.
Flowers from the CLF family.

I'm sure they have a name, but the Cute Little Flower handle fits it well enough.
Dinner at the Rusty MackerelDinner at the Rusty Mackerel
Dinner at the Rusty Mackerel

A lot of locals come here. The kitchen close at 7:00PM, but the Pub is open way after that.


Tot: 0.272s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0511s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb