She's little, but she hits hard


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Cork » Cork
July 2nd 2007
Published: July 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Cork is boring as hell, but I must say, it gave me one of the best stories I have from the trip.

The area where we are staying is a bit in the middle of nowhere part of town. This leaves us with little to do and I believe the Contiki plan is for us to get some sleep. For some this is what happened. For the rest, the night was LEGEND- wait for it- DARY.

We begin with a bit of, what they call, 10 pin bowling, which was a fun way to unwind. From there we crossed the street to the hostel bar across the way. Here we proceeded to drink as much as possible again (I believe that we are all dreading the end of this trip and a return to the real world, which is causing us all to act a bit foolish). Again, there was much singing and drinking.

Then, things got interesting. We left the bar and decided to go down to “Hillbilly’s Chicken” for a late night bit of chicken. As we were walking down the street Amanda, a very small Aussie woman asked for a piggy back ride. As she weighs about 90 pounds I agreed.

Now, the thing about piggy back rides is, it’s not so much about weight as it is about balance. When someone jumps on your back you need to readjust and begin moving forward, momentum is a big deal. The problem arises when the person receiving the ride thinks it’s a good idea to keep climbing. The person giving the ride needs and expects the weight to be in the center of their back, not on their shoulders. If the weight is at your shoulders when you begin running it is possible for you to end up on your face with a 90 pound Aussie on your back in the middle of a Cork sidewalk.

I was uninjured, and actually found the whole thing funny. Most of the humor came from the hysterics of everyone towards the girl, I must point out, she landed on me so her fall was cushioned, and the fact that the hysterical drunks were ignoring the DOCTOR who is on tour with us who, with no concern in his voice, kept saying, “She’s fine. I saw the fall. She’s ok.”

So, Cork, a boring town, but there is no better place to get drunk and tackled by a 90 pound girl.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0561s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb