Day 09


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Cork » Cobh
May 8th 2019
Published: May 9th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Water's Edge Water's Edge Water's Edge

Our home for 3 days.
Day 09

Today was exciting, in that we were on the trail of some family members dating from late 1800’s to 1900’s. Gail, Mike’s wife, has gathered much information from public census records, immigration records, deportation notices, marriage records, some death records, family notes on several DNA sites where users have entered family information.

After breakfast, we headed for Cork, where the many of the family lived. We thought we would check some churches which might have records that are not online. We found the church were several of the family were baptized, but today is Wednesday, and the office is open Tuesday and Thursday. I don’t think they would have many records, since most records were burned during uprisings, or conquering attempts.

St. Fin Barre’s church is where my Great Grandmother and father went to church.

The addresses that we pulled from census records, gave us insight where they lived. Some of the addresses, that we have no longer exist. It appears the roads were removed when the college was built, and the campus took over the land for dorms, and buildings.

Other addresses we could find, where Great Grandfather and mother lived, and where
Our room.Our room.Our room.

We have two large rooms, a bed and sitting area with a great view of the channel to Cork.
great grandmother’s family lived. There was one address where one Henry Keating’s descendants may still live, but we were happy to just get a picture of the house. Preliminary research indicated that if it was so, they were not interested in discussing it, so we took pictures and left.

One address we didn't find, but we found even numbers that looked the right age, but across the street was an empty parking lot, where houses with odd numbers could have been before. Behind the parking lot is an apartment building, but it looked too recent to be late 1800, early 1900's.

The Old Cemetery had many graves, but the ones we were trying to find were not there. Records are slim. We did visit with the caretaker of the cemetery. He has worked there over 40 years, and all the records are hand written in a ledger, by date when the deceased was buried. We looked up the few we had, with no results. He suggested we go to the City Center, the newspaper, and search their editions for names that may have appeared in death notices. He also suggested Wilton’s Pub for lunch. We opted to wait
Dinner in the hotel Dinner in the hotel Dinner in the hotel

Overlooking the water is a very nice meal experience.
and talk to Christy Keating at the Irish Heritage Center tomorrow on more avenues, or get more information. We did take his advice for lunch. It was a great lunch.

It seems that they can’t be digitally indexed until 100 years have passed. The thought is identity theft thieves use that information for fraudulent purposes.

After lunch we headed back to Cobh. We took a tour of the Titanic museum located just down the street from our hotel, on the water. The museum is in the same building that the cruise line used to get people from the dock to the ship.

The interesting thing about how the tour was run, is your ticket is a replica of the tickets used, and has a passenger’s name, the price they would have paid, and the class they were sailing as. First Class, Second Class and Third Class. The classes were kept physically separate even while waiting for the tender to take them to the ship. The same size tender carried only one class of passenger. First Class might be 19 on the tender, while Third Class would have 128 on the same size tender headed for the ship.
St. Fin Barre's South ChurchSt. Fin Barre's South ChurchSt. Fin Barre's South Church

This is the church where the ancestors were baptized, and probably attended.


When the tour is over, you check the back of your ticket to see if you survived, or if you were not a survivor. And, of course the exit door takes you to the gift shop. It was a very interesting tour. My ticket represented David Charters, who didn't make it, and whose body was never found. Vernell's ticket was for Mary Agatha Glynn, who did survive. Quite a story because when the news came to her family, they said she had perrished. Family and friends came to console the family. Three days later, they recieved a telegram that said she did NOT perrish. Some weeks later, her parents received a letter from her and said my feet are on solid ground, and I am not getting in a boat again. I'm staying here. She died in 1955.

Mary's cabin was below deck. She was sharing it with 13 other young people. It was very very hot, and they had shed as many clothes as possible to keep comfortable. When the ship hit the iceberg, everyone had to get to a lifeboat, without having time to grab clothes. She was put into Lifeboat 13, with about 60 other people I think. She was very cold she said in an interview, wearing the lightest and minimal of night clothes. When she testified to Congress about the accident, it was reported that she was the clearest and had more information than the others.

We returned to the hotel, to get ready for dinner, and since it was still a misty rain, and chilly, we stayed at the hotel again tonight. We have a lovely view, from our room, as well as the dinning room as you can see in the pictures.

We may learn more things tomorrow, stay tuned.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

44 Gillabbey44 Gillabbey
44 Gillabbey

The house where Ellen (Connolly) Keating was born and lived until she married Ned Keating (Edward Richard) Also obviously where Great Great Grandparents lived (James & Mary Connolly).
10 Sunview Terrace, College Rd.10 Sunview Terrace, College Rd.
10 Sunview Terrace, College Rd.

Henry Keating may still live. Number 12 Sunview Terrace, College Rd is where Richard and Mary (Manning) Keating lived when Richard died of Typhus in1881, so I suspect Ned and siblings were probably born here, at least the younger ones would have been.
41 College Road41 College Road
41 College Road

This is where Ned and Ellen lived from 1908 until Ned died in either June of 1956 or 1958. Ellen's father, James Connolly died here in 1908, Ellen died here in 1943, and Ned lived there until he died.
Old CemeteryOld Cemetery
Old Cemetery

That is the name of the cemetery, Old Cemetery. No hits on family here. That doesn't mean there is no family buried here, it just means we can't locate them because there is no index.
Public Health is seriousPublic Health is serious
Public Health is serious

You can get fined €3000 for letting your FiFi poop on the street and not pick it up.


11th May 2019

Tickets?
So what tickets did you guys have? Any survivors?

Tot: 0.237s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0598s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb