Iceland * 04 - 08.10.2016


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland
October 28th 2016
Published: October 28th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Our trip has started and we're on our way!

The 4th of October we waved our parents goodbye at the airport in Amsterdam. Ready for our big adventure.

We arrived that same day in Iceland. It took us some time to get a car because at the airport itself it was ridiculously expensive. When we finally got a car it was almost 17:00. We had booked the Blue Lagoon at 19:00 so we went for coffee and a hot dog at the gasstation and then drove up to the Blue Lagoon.

The steam coming from the Blue Lagoon was visible from far away. It was cold and windy when we arrived at the parking, but once inside the geothermal spa, it was very nice and warm. Of course we've made the cliché silly pictures with the silica mask on our face! Also we met another friends-couple who were traveling. When the Blue Lagoon closed they drove with us to Reykjavik where we had dinner and some drinks.

The next day we did our own "golden circle-tour". We went to Pingvellir first, where we walked between the European and American plates and walked around this beautiful park. Then we drove up to see the Geysir. The great Geysir did not erupt since 2012 but the Strokkur Geysir was erupting every 8-10 minutes so we've watched it a few times and then drove to the Gullfoss waterfall. So that was the golden circle-tour and we finished it earlier than we thought we would so we decided to drive south-east.

On our way we met a couple from Scotland at a gasstation where we had a coffee break.They were going to Vík. We just had a small talk and then headed towards this waterfall you could walk behind: Seljalandsfoss. There we met the same couple again and arranged to go for dinner together in Vík.

The next day we went for a walk to the Svartifoss waterfall. It was very nice but also very misty. It wasn't raining but our hair and clothes got all wet just because of the fog. On our way down we also saw some typical houses covered by grass. After that we drove further to see the gletsjer lagoon, but because it was so misty we could barely see 3 iceblocks floating in the lagoon. We went to Höfn because we heard it was nice and figured we could stay there and go back to the lagoon the next day and if we're lucky the clouds would be gone. Eventually Höfn wasn't so spectacular so we drove back until I got tired.

The next day we were lucky indeed and we went to the lagoon. After that we saw a little road that led us to another lagoon that looked actually prettier than the first one. After that we found a road that was private but we decided to have overseen that. It led to the end of a gletsjer so you could actually walk around the ice and see it melting in front of you. I think that was the coolest thing I've seen in Iceland!

That day we also drove up to the black beach. It was very nice and very impressive because of the raging waves that crashed on the black peddled beach. After that we drove back to Reykjavik.

Arriving there we went to a bar to have a drink. Shortly after, a guy from couchsurfing contacted me to ask if we wanted to go chase the northern lights. Later we drove to Pingvellir again because it was supposed to be less cloudy over there. We also saw the Scottish couple again there. The sky was clear and there were so many stars but unfortunately we didn't see the northern lights.

The next day was our last day in Iceland. We went to a pool to get warm and to get a nice shower. It was the perfect ending of our time in Iceland.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0482s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb