To the land of fire and ice


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » South
February 24th 2015
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 63.9331, -20.9971

Headed off early for the airport as the traffic to Heathrow can be a nightmare. Good decision me thinks. Got to T1 in good time.... It's empty and really quiet due to the terminal being refurbished so most of the outlets were boarded up (less places to spend money which can only be a good thing) Enough time for a latte and a full English. Julie's happy as she has her bottle of water for the plane and a shiny new magazine. Perfect start to the holiday.
After a 3 hour flight landed in Keflavik, got through baggage and customs in about 15 mins only to wait in the Avis queue for about 45 mins because there was only one member of staff on the desk. We picked up a Nissan Qashqai and drove through Reykjavik and on to route 413. Before getting too lost we discovered the car had a Sat Nav and pulled into a garage to set our route for Grimsbogir. Travelled for an hour and a half through lots of snow and wind to the Grimsbogir Hotel which is in the sticks.... Inside the Golden Circle. Nice hotel made up of the main reception and restaurant in a main building and lots of chalets detached and dotted about - it was a short drive to ours. Chalet shared four hot tubs. Had Icelandic cod and salmon for dinner. No chance of seeing the Northern Lights..... It's snowing.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.024s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb